Autodesk Privacy Policy

A little off topic, but I wanted some opinions on this. I just purchased a new copy of AutoCAD LT for $1000, and went to use it and it asked me to agree to a privacy policy that basically said they will gather any information about me that they can. I wouldn't agree, and so I can't use it. I have requested a refund. I have only seen policies like this on free programs and apps, never on a single-licensed mainstream product.

1. What are the opinions on this?

2. What are my alternatives? I use AutoCAD for electrical drawings, but also do some mechanical design.

I'm a big fan of Qcad for knocking out a drawing in a hurry. As for AutoDesk's position, why am I not surprised?

Yea I never fill out stuff like that with my real info.

First Name : pfunk Last Name : Era

Street Address : 8888 Moondog Drive.

City: Anaheim State : California

DOB 01/01/1970

Email: [email protected] (This is a real domain for this purpose)

Mobile # 770-228-XXXX ( The number I put in is off top of my head but real so if you get a call asking for pfunk you can yell at me.

If everyone did this thier databases would really be something now wouldn't they?

Last edited:
Well, believe it or not, data about you can be collected about you whether or not you explicitly give it. And that is what they want me to agree to. Yes, and they want to be able to share it, even "cross borders", whatever that means.

Hi,
1. What are the opinions on this?

I don't like it. Unfortunately it has become a common practice by all major software makers. If you read the EULA of any software it will make you nervous to say the least. Seems like these companys are selling our personal data to make extra profit. This is a bad practice in my opinion since it upsets the customers. Since there is money involved, it won't stop until customers stop buying the products because of this "feature". They are gambling that more people will ignore the EULA that ones who return it for refund.

2. What are my alternatives? I use AutoCAD for electrical drawings, but also do some mechanical design.

There are many options.
1. Accept the software "features" as is, so that it can be used. Install a software firewall afterwards to limit this software from connecting to the web.
2. Accept & install the software & then use the PC "offline". AutoCad can't "Phone Home" if the net is unavailable of if a firewall is installed to block it.
3. Don't install the software. Get a refund and buy something else. The alternative software's EULA may be similar.
4. Accept that there is no more privacy on the web & just tune out that eerie feeling that someone is looking over your shoulder. Use the package as it is.
5. Build a "faraday" cage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

This kind of software won't stop until majority of users demand it with their wallets. I seriously doubt that will happen. Seems like most if not all of the younger generation are able to tune out or don't feel the eerie or slimy feeling that us veterans get.

BD

Well, believe it or not, data about you can be collected about you whether or not you explicitly give it.
Exactly true. The US NSA (National Security Agency) has many snooping centers around the borders, and forces phone companies and internet companies like Google, Facebook, and Twitter to allow the NSA to piggyback and look at any data that they want to. The NSA claims not to read Email messages, only the addresses. Not many of us older people trust them with our data. There have been a few proposals in Congress to rein in the abuse, but so far they are weak and nothing has changed.

There is no such thing as privacy. Your bank (unless offshore) doles out info about your finances to whomever they please (read that letter that they send out periodically, about the info they disclose). Your doctor's patient confidentiality agreement is swiss cheeses, not worth the paper it's printed on. The government already has all the info they need about you, and if not, they can just ask google. Google knows more about you than your mother does. This AutoCAD thing, I wouldn't batt an eye at; what info could they possibly provide anybody that isn't already available. Worst case, you get on a spam list. But I doubt even that.

This wasn't the typical EULA. This was a splash screen that basically gave you a strong warning about the privacy policy. It was as if they knew it was unreasonable and out of the ordinary.

OK, Autodesk just kicked me in the nuts again. I tried to uninstall AutoCAD, and it won't uninstall. This is also the first program I have seen that closes down Windows Explorer(Desktop included) during the uninstall. It did not start back up like it was supposed to.

For programs that do not completely uninstall themselves, I use Windows Registry Editor to seach and find the scattered parts, manually deleting each part as it is found.

I can only say that I am extremely grateful that I ****ed ACAD off 20 years ago! American hoo haa as usual!

I stopped using AutoCAD LT over 10 years ago since the free compatible knock offs, ProgeCAD and DraftSight, became available. Are there any benefits to using AutoCAD LT over Draftsight?