RSLogix Axis Configuration

tomizzo11

In my program, I'm trying to check and see if one of the axis objects is in a ready state. So, I'm using a GSV to get the axis configuration state. The number should be 128 when it's completely configured. However, my axis is only getting to number 3. Does anyone know where I could find a chart that tells me what step axis configuration is at for number 3?

I'm working with a CIP axis is that matters.

Thanks

Hi

Is it a new axis or and existing that was working

If its new check to see you have the correct motor selected.
You have the correct firmware in your plc and drive.
Tell us your plc type, motor type, drive type and firmware

Donnchadh

Hi

Is it a new axis or and existing that was working

If its new check to see you have the correct motor selected.
You have the correct firmware in your plc and drive.
Tell us your plc type, motor type, drive type and firmware

Donnchadh

I'm working on a development project and am working on a test set up. The axis is new.

There are two PowerFlex 755 drives communicating with a L30ERM CompactLogix. There are two motors: 60V, 3 phase, 1/2 HP induction motor, one with an encoder, one without. Off the top of my, I want to say that one PF755 has firmware 7.001 and the other has 9.001.

The drives display that they are online and communication on the Ethernet/IP network.

As stated earlier, the axes objects in RSLogix get stuck at "Axis Configuration State 3". When at state 128, the axis has been configured.

There has to be some sort of table that tells you what is being done at Axis State 3 so that I can narrow down trouble shooting.

From the RSLogix 5000 Online Help for the GSV instruction and the Axis Object:

Code:
0 – 126 Not yet configured

127  Invalid consumed axis data (due to incompatible revisions 
between producer and consumer)

128  Configured
[B] 
3  Waiting on reply[/B]

4  Configured

I realize that begs the question of "why hasn't the Kinetix 7000 sent the reply the CompactLogix is waiting for", but it's a starting point.

From the RSLogix 5000 Online Help for the GSV instruction and the Axis Object:

Code:
0 – 126 Not yet configured

127  Invalid consumed axis data (due to incompatible revisions 
between producer and consumer)

128  Configured
[B] 
3  Waiting on reply[/B]

4  Configured

I realize that begs the question of "why hasn't the Kinetix 7000 sent the reply the CompactLogix is waiting for", but it's a starting point.

I really appreciate this. I wasn't able to find this in the help document.

But you're right, the next problem is trying to figure out why the PowerFlex 755 isn't sending the reply.

The drives display that they are online and communication on the Ethernet/IP network.

This at least tells us that the drives have their basic communications setup working.

Are you using the 20-750-ENETR dual-port ring Ethernet adapter, or the built-in Ethernet port ?

Are there any other CIP motion devices, or I/O devices, on this network that are working correctly ?

This at least tells us that the drives have their basic communications setup working.

Are you using the 20-750-ENETR dual-port ring Ethernet adapter, or the built-in Ethernet port ?

Are there any other CIP motion devices, or I/O devices, on this network that are working correctly ?

I am using the embedded Ethernet adapter, single port. I have an 1783-ETAP (3 Port switch) connecting two drives and the controller.

Because this is a development test set up, all of the I/O that would typically exist is replaced by an HMI from FactoryTalk. No physical I/O on the network besides the single digital input that exists on the PF755.

I am using the embedded Ethernet adapter, single port. I have an 1783-ETAP (3 Port switch) connecting two drives and the controller.

Because this is a development test set up, all of the I/O that would typically exist is replaced by an HMI from FactoryTalk. No physical I/O on the network besides the single digital input that exists on the PF755.

Some one please correct me if I am wrong here but I don't think an ETAP is a 3 port switch. It is designed to integrate a device that does not have DLR (Device Level Ring) capabilities into a DLR system. So for example if you say had a system with an L30ER PLC, 2 x Kinetix 5500 servo drives and a PV Plus 1000, you would be able to do DLR between the L30ER and the Kinetix 5500´s but the PV Plus only has 1 Ethernet port so you have to connect the PV using an ETAP so that It can be part of the DLR system.

Perhaps try just connecting one of them to the PLC first, directly without the ETAP and see what happens. Then if that works try connecting the other. If they both work individually without the ETAP then it looks like that's the problem.

Regards
Ian

Some one please correct me if I am wrong here but I don't think an ETAP is a 3 port switch. It is designed to integrate a device that does not have DLR (Device Level Ring) capabilities into a DLR system. So for example if you say had a system with an L30ER PLC, 2 x Kinetix 5500 servo drives and a PV Plus 1000, you would be able to do DLR between the L30ER and the Kinetix 5500´s but the PV Plus only has 1 Ethernet port so you have to connect the PV using an ETAP so that It can be part of the DLR system.

Perhaps try just connecting one of them to the PLC first, directly without the ETAP and see what happens. Then if that works try connecting the other. If they both work individually without the ETAP then it looks like that's the problem.

Regards
Ian

You know, this is a possibility. I hope it's not the case but I will look into it. I should be able to connect both PF755s directly into the two ports of the CompactLogix and then use the ETAP to connect my lap top.

Although the ETAP is meant to allow you to tap into a DLR network and that's the primary purpose, I didn't think there would be any problems in using it as a 3 port switch.

Edit: Take a look at this web page, http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/214372/9142990/tab8.html

It is categorized as a switch but you might be right that it only works in linear to DLR topology. I'm going to check this out tomorrow.

Last edited:
So I found out some information.

Directly from the ETAP manual that I didn’t have access to over the weekend:

The 1783-ETAP Ethernet/IP tap provides EtherNet/IP connectivity. Use the tap to support hese network topologies:

*Linear
*Star
*Device-level ring (DLR)

The tap is configured by default to support linear, star, and ring (as a non-supervisor ring node) topologies.

So I already tried removing the tap and just using a direct connection between the PLC and PF755 and I still have axis configuration state 3 – waiting on reply.

I’m wondering if there is some parameter that has to be set on the drive or what.

So I found out some information.

Directly from the ETAP manual that I didn’t have access to over the weekend:

The 1783-ETAP Ethernet/IP tap provides EtherNet/IP connectivity. Use the tap to support hese network topologies:

*Linear
*Star
*Device-level ring (DLR)

The tap is configured by default to support linear, star, and ring (as a non-supervisor ring node) topologies.

So I already tried removing the tap and just using a direct connection between the PLC and PF755 and I still have axis configuration state 3 – waiting on reply.

I’m wondering if there is some parameter that has to be set on the drive or what.

Hello!

I am using the Documentation Example of Device Level Ring Faceplate to integrate it into my Studio5000 and FTView SE project.

But once I launch my SE Client, I only see "?" in all my texts in the faceplate. I know it could be because of the language, but I have made all the changes that I could, such export and import new languages, and so on.

Could you tell me if someone have had the same issue?

Thank you in advanced.