slc 5/04

robertbrede

Thank you for this site. Us beginners don't have a prayer without you veterans helping out here.

I have a 5/04 in a 4 slot rack. Like most guys, I am trying to come up with a working driver. If I was AB, I would be ashamed and embarrassed about all their communication problems.
Anyway, I've tried just about every configuration in RS Linx and no success. I am using a 1747-uic with a gender changer on the end. I am plugged into the RS232 port and can't get anything. I have a blinking fault light. The DH+ lights amber at start up, then flashes green. The 5/04 did have a program protect jumper that I caught! Hey, I figured out one thing!
I have lost a lot of hair trying to figure this out and I don't have much left. Someone, please help.

The 1747-UIC does TWO things

It translates DF1 (which comes in on the USB connection) and sends out DH485.

It also is an electrical adapter. The resultant DH485 protocol is available on either the RS232 port (DE9 connection) or the RS485 (modular plug) port.

If the RS232 on the SLC5/04 is expecting DF1 (the default protocol) then this won't work.

You might be better off with a USB to RS232 adapter using the DF1 protocol. Search around for the forum preferred model. A Belkin one if I remember.

If the SLC 5/04 port is set to DH485 then you need a 1747-CP3 cable which is a null modem type. See this posting for a pdf of the pinout.

Last edited:
The 5/04 did have a program protect jumper that I caught!

If (see picture below) is what you are talking about put it back to the protect position. Its for a firmware download only. It has nothing to do with protecting the program.

Is this a working PLC? If not you can clear its program(memory) by removing the battery and shorting out VBB to GND see pdf below.

Don't do the clear memory if it has a program in it you want and do not have a back-up.

firmwareprotect.jpg

Attachments

• ClearMemorySLC.pdf
    72.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Thanks for the ultra fast reply. I wasn't expecting anything till tomorrow.
How do I know if the protocol is DF1 or DH485? Can a programmer change that? Is there another jumper on the 5/04 that changes it.
I will put the jumper back and thanks for that tip as well.

Here's my PRESENT attempt:
Configure RS-232 DF1 devise
Com Port- 3 Devise- slc/cho/micro/panelview
Baud- 19,200 Station#- 00
Parity- None Error checking- bcc
Stop Bits- 1 Protocol- Full Duplex

Seller claimed it was working when removed. No battery for weeks, so I doubt any program. I don't care about the 5/04's last program. I am using it to learn.

Comm port configuration is set with the programming software then downloaded to the PLC or changed when online with the PLC.

Seller claimed it was working when removed. No battery for weeks, so I doubt any program. I don't care about the 5/04's last program. I am using it to learn.

Then clear the memory per to PDF I posted above. This will set the serial port to its default protocol DF1.

Driver: DF1 Full Duplex
Baud Rate: 19200
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1

Use the RS232 DF1 Devices Driver in RSLinx- Then click "Autoconfigue"

You will need at USB to serial adapter with a null-modem cable if your PC does not have a real serial port.

See links below for one. A brand "Keyspan USA19hs is highly recommended.

Or one at link (ind-concepts) below.

http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=849&txtModelID=3914

Last edited:
Tried all that. Now, the RS232 light blinks once for every two times the DH+ blinks. Didn't blink at all before. Also, the Force light is blinking. The Fault light is continuous now. It was blinking before.
For Device type in the Auto Configure, should I select SLC/CHO/MICRO/PANELVIEW?
Also, should my 5/04 keyswitch be in REM, or PROG during the Auto configuration?

Thanks so much for your help

I'm not exactly an expert on all this but I just went through this same scenario two days ago. Put the SLC in REM with the key, use a null modem cable with a USB to serial adaptor, start a new blank project and download it. The fault light will come on if there is no program in the PLC. Good Luck>:)

If RSLinx "auto config" is not finding your 5/04, set the RSLinx "DF1 driver" to the 5/04's exact port settings. To find these for a newly reset processor, open RSLogix 500, create a new 5/04 program, and then check the channel 0 config for the right baud rate, error checking, etc (I'm not at my programming PC at the moment.)

As far as the "Device type" in the DF1 driver, selecting "SLC/CHO" is what you want. I also suggest leaving the key in REM, but at this point it doesn't matter as you haven't connected (you can connect in any mode.)

Oh, and keep in mind the 1747-UIC only talks "DH-485." Even though it has a DB9, that's only DH-485 as well. So as stated above, you'll need a USB to Serial converter (and a null modem cable/adapter.) If you can't buy one of the suggested models above, beware that many cheap usb to serial converters don't support auto config.

Hope this helps - let us know how you make out!

Last edited:
I gave up on the 5/04 for now. I have a slc 1747 L40a and am trying to configure a driver for that. Surprise, like thousands of others, I am having problems with AB's RS linx again. I am using the 1747 UIC set to RS485..... no success. Any hints on this older PLC?

Sorry for the sarcasm,
Robert

Here's my set of troubleshooting questions:

1. Is this a real 1747-UIC, from Allen-Bradley, or one of the aftermarket units ? Is it known to be functional ?

2. What edition and revision of Windows are you running ? This includes whether it's 32-bit or 64-bit, and whether you're running a Home Edition or a Professional Edition.

3. What revision of RSLinx Classic you are running ?

4. Are you using the DF1 driver or the 1747-UIC driver in RSLinx Classic ?

5. What settings have you used with the driver ? With the 1747-UIC there is only ONE set of correct settings; attempting to use different variations of the speed or device type will not result in success.

6. Have you verified that the 1747-UIC's Windows driver is installed correctly ? Use the Windows Control Panel to verify that it shows up as a COM port.

7. Have you have verified which Windows COM port number the 1747-UIC is using and set the driver to use that COM port number ?

8. What cable are you using between the 1747-UIC and the 1747-L40A ?

9. What state are the status LEDs in on the 1747-UIC and the 1747-L40A ?

10. What sort of diagnostic or status messages appear for the 1747-UIC driver in RSLinx Classic ?

If you're willing to fill in those blanks, you might find that some Forum member is able to help you establish communication between your PC and this controller.

1) aftermarket, 2) Windows XP Professional, 32/64?, RSLinx Classic, downloaded 4 years ago. 1747 UIC,
Driver- com3 Devise name- AB_UIC-1, Station # 00
Using dh485 jack on end of UIC converter,, blinking CPU fault, haven't verified windows driver.

To be certain about the version of RSLinx Classic software, use the Help -> About feature in RSLinx to determine the actual Version Number of your RSLinx Classic installation. I strongly prefer version 2.59 for use with Windows XP.

If you actually have Windows XP 64 Bit, all bets are off. XP64 had all kinds of bizarre problems with hardware support of USB devices but was extremely uncommon except in applications that needed large amounts (> 8 GB) of RAM.

The driver name "1747-UIC" suggests that you have a fairly modern version of RSLinx Classic, as it reduces the number of different selections you can make. All you really have to do is select the COM port number and the Node Number.

Most PLCs will come out of the box at Node 1, but it's not impossible for them to be Node 00. Try another node number for your RSLinx station.

Gently ensure that the slider switch that selects between the RS485 and RS232 interfaces is firmly in place on the RS485 side.

It is imperative that your "1747-UIC" device be correctly recognized by Windows XP via the downloadable driver, and that you configure RSLinx Classic to use the COM port number that Windows has assigned to it. The only way to be certain of this COM port number is to use the Windows Control Panel. Select Device Manager, then Hardware, then Ports.

Again: you must have the COM port number correct. It is necessary. Required. Sine qua non.

In my experience the aftermarket 1747-UIC requires a power cycle in between any parameter changes or switch setting changes.

The USB LED on the aftermarket 1747-UIC should be flickering. I'm not sure about the necessary state of the DH485 LED.

Last edited:
Gave up on my L40A and went back to the 5/04. Taking apart the null modem cable revealed it wasn't wired anything like Mr. Roach said. I resoldered and am going back to the 5/04 hopeful now. Still can't get the RS232 processor light to blink again. I shorted the two terminals and have the processor in REM. STILL NO LUCK! Thanks RS LINX!

Gave up on my L40A and went back to the 5/04. Taking apart the null modem cable revealed it wasn't wired anything like Mr. Roach said. I resoldered and am going back to the 5/04 hopeful now. Still can't get the RS232 processor light to blink again. I shorted the two terminals and have the processor in REM. STILL NO LUCK! Thanks RS LINX!

If you have concerns about whether or not your SLC's are working, I'm sure if you called your local A-B distributor he would be more than happy to test connecting to them for you. Or you can send them to my office and I'll test them for you.