Omron G9SP & ABB ACS 850 - Safe Torque Off

smtwkla

Hi,

I am new to Omron G9SP. I need it to switch an ABB ACS 850 drive's Safe Torque Off (STO). The G9SP contains semiconductor outputs (PNP). Can they be used to switch the STO directly or should I use a relay?

Thanks,
smtwkla

Can be done with / or without a relay. ABB should have a manual specifying criteria & wiring schemes for both methods. Be carful without a relay as some drives have difficulty with test pulses from the safety plc (the manual will spell this out). With a relay it needs to match the safety level of the rest of the safety system.

I would say don't use a relay if you don't need to. The outputs of the GSP9 are rated for safety use so why put another device in the mix...But check your manuals and safety requirements first.

It shows a safety relay. So go with what the manual shows or contact you vendors to see if you can use the outputs from the G9SP directly. Other drives I have used usually show either as being acceptable but since it's a safety thing don't take my word for it.