Automation question but not PLC related

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a project that my boss wants me to try on a torque testing machine that we have. We use this machine to do durability testing on our clutches for the auto industry. The testing machine has a spindle with an inertia wheel attached to it. We spin up the inertia wheel and then when it reaches a pre-set RPM, we engage the clutch. We want to measure the sound of each engagement and if that sound surpasses a pre-set level, we want to stop the machine. As of right now, I'm trying out a cheap analog output sound sensor used in hobby robotics. It uses a tiny 2-wire microphone like you can find at radio shack. I would like to measure the amplification of each impact sound but not sure how I can do that, and do it CHEAP. Maybe its simple?? I have a Phoenix Contact transducer module (MCR-f-UI-DC)that I can measure the frequency of the sound, but I don't think that is what I want?? I also have an OMEGA signal conditioner (DMD-465WB)typically used for load cells. I haven't tested that yet but I'm thinking that's what I need to use? And have the output of that go to the Phoenix Contact transducer module to e-stop the machine? I just want to get some ideas out there on the best way to accomplish this. This is the sound sensor that I'm trying - (http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83#.Uq9n_Hoo6M8)

Why not just use it with an Arduino as it was designed?
This will give sound intensity. Is that what you want? Or does the sound tend to change in pitch?

Hey Bernie,

Thanks for the reply. Well, I'm not familiar with Arduino and I didn't think it was necessary as long as the sensor had an analog output, which this one does. I can read the output in Hz or mV, so my thought was that was all I needed to accomplish this task coupled with the transducer module that I have and/or the signal conditioner if reading in mV.