ASCII Character Values

Richard250891

Hi,
How would I write a program to get the PLC to calculate a value for a set of characters in a string?

I'm using RSLogix 500 and a SLC 5/05 CPU.

For example, if I have a string that reads "ABCD", I know that the ASCII value of the characters combined would be 65+66+67+68=266, but is there a way to set this up so the PLC can do this automatically, without me having to manually enter the character values into, say, a CPT instruction?

Thanks

Hi there!

Attached, you will find my method of ASCII Lookup.

It will iterate through whatever string you enter for ST9:250 and return the decimal ASCII value for each alphanumeric character.

I added a bit where it adds all the values together, but with the premise you are using, "ABC", "BAC", "CAB", and "AAD" all have the same value. Don't know if that was your intent or not...

ST9:252 is the Master String (I capitalized it because this is very important ;) ). This must be set to:
Code:
0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Lookup table functionality without the lookup tables.

Hope this helps!