Mapping a network drive on a PanelView Plus

dmmons

Equipment:

2711P-T7C4D8: 2711 PanelView Plus 6 Terminal, 700 Model, Touch Screen, Color, Standard Communication - Ethernet & RS-232, DC Input, Windows CE 6.0

9300-ENA: Net Translation Device

I am using ME Data Store Plus to log data to the local SD card. I am then using a batch file to copy the data to another folder on the SD card and then send it to a network server.

Working from Tech Note # 520349, I am trying to map a network drive that I can log to on our in house server for testing purposes. After trying for a day to get connected using the CMD syntax given in the technote (as well as trying other combinations), I got our IT guy in, and he was unable to make it work.

I am able to ping the server from the HMI, and was also able to FTP into the HMI from another computer on the network. So I am confident that the 9300-ENA is configured correctly. I also tried mapping the drive without the 9300-ENA by connecting the HMI directly to the network. Still haven't had any luck.

Has anybody here ever done this before? If so what syntax did you use?

Thanks

Update:

I spoke with Rockwell and they seem to think the issue may be because while I am able to ping the server using the IP address, I am unable to ping it using the server name.

Anyone else ever run into this?

First you can map a drive via it's NETBIOS name or IP and it works the same. If the tech you spoke with says otherwise then he does not fully understand Microsoft Networking.

You use NETBIOS names Vs IP addresses because they are easier to remember and manage but it will work with just and IP all day long.

If you can't ping the NETBIOS name then you have DNS issues. Misconfigured DNS record, Machine Name Issue, Pointing to the wrong DNS server, permissions,Firewall Rules, etc.

Also you can't map just the drive you have to map to a share that you have permissions to that resides on the machine.

Thanks PLCKid,

I just got your post as I got it working. I was using the "net use" command from the DOS screen. The thing that resolved my issue was setting up my network connections on the PV+ so that my Primary DNS server and Primary WINS server were addressed to the IP of my server.

That was a hard lesson learned... :sick: