Help in Documentation :)

Joel201

Good day,

Hello everyone, I have a problem with documentation i am asked to do a system software design i searched the net for how to create one but cannot find a format. Thanks for helping in advance

I am asked to do a system software design...
What is the system software running on? A computer or a PLC or a SCADA system? (It could be either of the 3, and the design would be different for each one). What is the size of the system, large or small? How many inputs? How many Outputs? Is there a operater interface or operator control station and are there more than one? What is the customer's preferred communications protocol? Does the customer have a preferred brand or model for each device?

All the above help to determine the system design. There is no cookie-cutter appraoach that I know about, just one step at a time unti the entire system is defined.

Joel201,

please explain you application better.
we cannot help with the information you have given.

here goes my attempt at an answer.

pc software application - use flowchart diagrams

pc network - use flowchart diagrams.

plc application - use flowcharts, write out process, or several other ways.

processes - use timing chart and flowcharts.

regards,
james

The IEEE used to have an excellent standard called something like "Documentation for Real Time Computer Control Systems" but I no longer have a copy and Google does not come up with anything. The ISA standard is 5.06.01 and this also seems OK. Using an industry standard always seems to add credibility when talking to clients or customers. The problem is that compliance usually requires effort and there is a tendency for people to fall back on the excuse that it does not need to be that complicated for their particular industry. The reality is that having a standard usually ends up saving you time and problems further down the development process.