KEPDirect software qeustion

hoejinkim

HI

I am trying to have a vision software communicate with PLC DL205 through the ECOM. but i found that Netedit (ECOM) itself cannot communicate with PC software(vision software, roborealm).
So i heard that KEPDirect software from Automation direct company can make possible to have PC software communicate with PLC

is that right??
Any expert on this problem????

thanks a lot

KEPDirect is an OPC Server with drivers that can be used to communicate with Automation Direct hardware. The PC software that connects to it must be an OPC DA or UA client application. This includes applications that have been written with OPC Toolkits are are using activeX OPC controls.

Hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Thanks for your reply,

you mean i cannot use KEPDirect for communication b/w PLC and PC software???

if so, is there another way??

thanks

What PC Software are you trying to connect to the PLC? Microsoft Word, Angry Birds, Kindle for PC?

I am using RoboRealm software for vision processing (take measurement, color recognition in manufacturing process)
It has 'TCP/IP modbus slave' module as a type of API.
Here is website http://www.roborealm.com/index.php

Roborealm can act as a Modbus Slave meaning that the PLC will initiate communications to the software and Read data from the software and Write data to the software.

All you need is a PLC or other controller that can act as a Modbus TCP master. You don't need any additional software to go between the PLC and Roborealm.

1) >It has 'TCP/IP modbus slave' module as a type of API.

Robo's Modbus slave documentation page
http://www.roborealm.com/help/Modbus_Slave.php
under [Program Extensions] says

"The Modbus Slave module provides an interface between RoboRealm and a modbus master . . ."

Do you have the Modbus slave module? It's required.

2) It appears that in the Robo that the variables are dynamically assigned Modbus registers according to the order your place them in the 'send variables' list. The register addresses appear to start with the register address in 'Address'.

So I would expect if the three variables Image count, FPS and POWER_DEVICE were in that order in 'Send variables' at address 50, that I'd see
00050 XXXXX (IMAGE COUNT)
00051 YYYYY (FPS)
00052 ZZZZZ (POWER_DEVICE)
in Modscan32.

Maybe, maybe not, that's why one experiments with Modscan to see what actually comes up, rather than blindly messing around with the PLC master.

3) Assuming you have the Modbus slave module, my suggestion is to setup the Robo to use an input register table starting at address 50 and then add a variable you want from the available variables list.

I don't know what 'automatic' means and they don't define it, so select 'integer' so that you know which format you'll be looking for.

Then use Modscan32 (it runs for 5 minutes before it needs resetting unless its licensed) to attempt communication with the Robo.

Under connection > connect > Connection details, scroll up to select "remote modbus TCP server"
Enter the Robo's IP address.
Leave service port at 502.

click OK and see if you can get a connection.

On the work area, under Length: enter a value of 10, which will display 10 register on the work page.

Under Modbus Point type, select "04 input register"
For Address, enter 0048

In the toolbar, select the 3rd button from the left, the one with an I (when you put your cursor over it, it shows the word Integer). That will display data in integer format.

Modscan should read 10 registers starting at 00048.

presumably your variable will appear 00050.

I think you can save your settings so that when you re-open Modscan you can quickly set it up.

When Modscan successfully shows one variable that you can interpret, add another variable or two to check how the data 'looks' in integer format.

This will 'prove' the readabilty of the Robo via Modbus.
Then you can develop your PLC app knowing what it has to do to read the Robo.

What Fred is trying to tell you is that the Kepware OPC server will communicate with an OPC client that is running as an application or service on the PC. That's why Mr. Harbin is asking which PC software app you're dealing with, to see whether it's an OPC client.

An OPC server without an OPC client is somewhat useless.

Under connection > connect > Connection details, scroll up to select "remote modbus TCP server"
Enter the Robo's IP address.
Leave service port at 502.

1) Which one is Robo's IP address? (attached file 1)

2) If i select Ethernet IP address which "169.254. 54.15" then i got second attached file, I think no connection ...

3) Third attached file is setup in RoboRealm

Capture.jpg Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG

Last edited:
Robo is an app you run on your computer.

Therefore, its IP address is the Ethernet adapter for the local area connection:

To talk to a Modbus slave app on your PC you need a 2nd PC running Modscan32

Here is a result

1) If i select Ethernet IP address which "169.254. 54.15" then i got second attached file, I think no connection ...

2) Third attached file is setup in RoboRealm

Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG