writing time to 1756-L55

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a way to update the time in a 1756-L55 using wonderware? Id like to update the time every night at say 3am in the L55. Right now I am using a GSV to get the wallclocktime and then sticking it into an array.

There is another way to do it. I use Logix5000 clock update tool. This utility runs on my computer and I updates my plcs time (more than 60) every day at midnight. My PC is in sync with internet time so all my plcs have the right time.

thanks, I hadnt realized that tool existed. Ill keep it in mind if someone doesnt have a wonderware solution.

Even FactoryTalk View doesn't have a native clock update feature, so you probably won't find one in Wonderware.

The usual roll-your-own method is to use scripting or a macro function in the HMI to write the values of the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second into a set of registers in the controller, then trigger a Set System Variable (SSV) instruction to the WallClockTime object.

The SSV works exactly like the GSV you are already using, but in reverse.

Even FactoryTalk View doesn't have a native clock update feature, so you probably won't find one in Wonderware.

The usual roll-your-own method is to use scripting or a macro function in the HMI to write the values of the year, month, day, hour, minute, and second into a set of registers in the controller, then trigger a Set System Variable (SSV) instruction to the WallClockTime object.

The SSV works exactly like the GSV you are already using, but in reverse.

Thanks Ken, that is what I was looking for. am I able to set individual values like hour minute second without touching the others like day, month, year, etc?

Sorry, I would try it, but I dont have a processor on hand.

Good question !

The sub-elements of the WallClockTime object are actually calculated from a single number in the Coordinated System Time object. They are not stored separately and cannot be set individually.

If you just need to change the Hour, you would use a GSV to grab the current WallClockTime, move a new value into the Hour sub-element, then write the whole array back to the WallClockTime object with an SSV.

Good question !

The sub-elements of the WallClockTime object are actually calculated from a single number in the Coordinated System Time object. They are not stored separately and cannot be set individually.

If you just need to change the Hour, you would use a GSV to grab the current WallClockTime, move a new value into the Hour sub-element, then write the whole array back to the WallClockTime object with an SSV.

makes sense, thanks Ken.