PLC5 >> CLX conversion

We are just in the process of converting from PLC5 to CLX. We are having a problem with the BTW message (RIO connection) to the AB IMC Postioning module. We don´t seem to be getting the datra through or maybe not in the right order. Can anybody give us some info what or where wecan look. TX Paul

Which IMC module (S Class, 1394, IMC-12x)?
Are your messages completing with a done bit or error?

A bit more information would be good.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the quick reply

1. IMC is a S Class. If you need more info I can get it.

2. The RIO I/O Mapping is OK

3. We can´t send BTR/BTW messages to the IMC. Timeout error
I don´t know exactly what we have for an error code( maybe 00D0 or 000D0???) Will have to speak with my colleagues tomorrow.
I read up a little in the Net about PLC5>> CLX conversion and read something about 16bit and 32bit conversion with the message data. Could this be our problem and if so could you explain why.

Well it´s 9pm here an were all going home but will be back tomorrow at 9am CET.

Thanks
Paul

I read up a little in the Net about PLC5>> CLX conversion and read something about 16bit and 32bit conversion with the message data. Could this be our problem and if so could you explain why.

if the system was working correctly with a PLC-5 processor, then the data being transferred to and from the IMC was undoubtedly a 16-bit integer (N-type) format ... (that's the PLC's native format) ...

with the newer ControlLogix platform, the DEFAULT data type is DINT (Double-Integer) which is a 32-bit format ... this is the format that usually just "pops up" automatically whenever you create the new data arrays which take the place of the old PLC-5's N-type files ...

so ...

IF (that's a big IF) the data mismatch actually is your problem, then the root cause would be that the old 16-bit IMC doesn't know how to handle/digest/interpret the 32-bit data that your new ControlLogix system is trying to pass back and forth ...

so ...

check the data arrays – and if they're currently set up as 32-bit DINTs then redefine them as 16-bit INTs instead ... there's a pretty good chance that will fix your problem – or at least move you one step closer to where you need to be ...

if all else fails, consider posting both the old RSP program file – and the new ACD project file - here to the forum ... someone might be able to spot something that you're overlooking ... (you'll have to ZIP the files in order to post them – forum rule) ...

good luck with your project ...

Hi Ron

Yes that was our problem with INT/DINT conversion
Message is functioning as it should.

Once again thanks for your help.

Conversion was successful.
Aluminium extrusion press is working in the test phase as it should

Thanks Paul