Profibus module for plc2

Hi all,

I have a customer that wants to add 8 new drives to a plc2 control system. The drives are vacon with profibus interface.

Can someone please suggest the best module as dp master? Prosoft?

Which model of PLC-2 controller are they using ? Are they running any A-B remote I/O with a RIO scanner ?

My first suggestion would be a 1771 style Profibus-DP scanner module. SST made one, though I don't know if it's available anywhere but the aftermarket now.

I don't know for sure if those would work with a PLC-2, though. In general, block-transfer devices will work with any controller that performs block transfers, but the SST-PFB-PLC5 was probably only tested with PLC-5 controllers.

Personally, if I had the money to purchase 8 new drives with Profibus cards and integrate them into an existing system, I'd be asking for enough money to migrate the PLC2 to a Control Logix or Compact Logix system. I'd be afraid that in the course of trying to graft a new Profibus master onto the PLC2 something that is currently working would fail. Furthermore, even if components of the PLC2 die a natural death, it will get blamed on you. I can already hear the comments. "It was working fine until Morphius got that bright idea to add those drives".