data collection for dummies

strider_d

Happy new year 2014!

I have just started working on a 12-120kL/day WWTP that has been run down over a couple of years and has almost no documentation. So like Hercules cleaning the stables I am rolling my sleaves up and digging in. :unsure: The WWTP is controlled by a Schneider PLC, with access via a Schneider Magelis XBTG2330 HMI. I have never worked with PLCs before so may need to call for expert help in the future when I think about reconfiguration and tuning the WWTP operation, but before I did I wanted to get my head around a really simple issue of data collection.

I have perused a number of manuals but the Schneider website is a minefield to search and locate "how to" information and the manual for the HMI is not clear to me. The HMI has both USB and Ethernet ports free. I would like to be able to collect data off the HMI on how the WWTP is performing.

Q1-If I was to plug a formatted FAT32 USB drive into the HMI would it automatically data dump onto the stick? Q1a - If not do I have to use Vijeo Designer to reprogram the PLC to do data dumps to an "optional" drive such as a USB?

Q2 - Does the data come out in .dat format that I need to convert to .csv so that I can look at it? Q2a - Do I use Vijeo Designer for that conversion also?

Q3 - Does the HMI need to be turned off to disconnect the USB, or can it be unplugged on the fly?

Q4 - If I plug an Ethernet cable in and connect it to a local network, will I be able to interrogate the HMI and obtain data that way? Q4a - Do I use Vijeo Designer to interrogate?

Thankyou for your time for a complete PLC newbie. Any suggestions to a PLC for dummies guide would be handy, though I suspect it Is one of those fields where multiple references and lots of trial and error is involved.

(1) If PLC & HMI are not password protected , you could upload the respective programms .
(2) Edit HMI programm to make datalog in CSV files and USB flash transfer . With proper coding , USB could be inserted / removed on the fly .
(3) Some HMIs allow Ethernet based datafiles transfer .

All above can work for you if PLC/HMI are not protected and you have appropriate cables and software .