SLC 541 Solid Fault Light

abishur

I have an SLC 5/04 (a 541 with 1747-OS401 SER C FRN 10) that after a minute of being powered up has only a solid FLT LED lit.

The order of event are:

1) Apply Power
2) FLT light flashes once
3) All LEDS flash once
4) FLT light flashes (as does BATT if I disconnect the battery)
5) After about 15-30 seconds all LEDs flash
6) FLT light flashes once
7) All LEDs flash
8) FLT light stays solid

I've tried shorting the GND and VBB pads on the back of the PLC with the battery disconnected, but no matter what I do the exact same thing happens every time, I'm unable to see it under RS Linx Classic, changing the key switch position does nothing, Autoconfig does not work in RS Linx when configuring the RS232 driver.

Any ideas on what I might be missing? I'm beginning to think that someone prior to me getting the unit messed up a firmware install, but I don't want to purchase a firmware upgrade kit on the remote chance that would resolve my issue. Is there a rental or borrow program where I could obtain, at least temporarily, the upgrade kit? Or a service where I could mail the 5/04 to where they would preform the upgrade and mail it back?

So after shorting the terminals VBB and GND onthe back of the card did you do a program download? Or just trying to the processor with no program installed just to see the fault lights. I find sometimes when trying to short out the terminals to clear the memory you need to keep them shorted for an extended period of time.( like a minute) Also when doing this be sure to unplug the battery!

I have not downloaded a new program into the PLC after shorting the terminals, but only because the PLC is not seen at all by RS Who, regardless of it I try to autoconfigure the RS232 driver or manual put in some settings.

I've tried shorting it out, with the battery removed for 15-30 seconds, I'll try again for a full minute

I don't know if this helps, but I've had a slc 5-04 with a similar fault, and when it loses it's program, it defaults it's datahighway speeds to 57.6k so won't show up in RSWho if it's set to a different speed (230k?).

I tried setting it manually to 57.6K and still no love, but I'm also using RS232 not Datahighway (I don't have any method for connecting to the DH+ port, the cheapest options I've found were $1,000+)

Shorting VBB and GND for a full 2 minutes didn't seem to help either, but it was worth the shot!

I have a 5/04 processor on my desk right now. After I dumped the program and powered it back up the fault light was flashing steadily. The fault light did not always stay lit. I only had to double check to make sure I had the correct COM port settings (I am using a usb adaptor) in RSLinx and autoconfigure to reconnect and download a new program. There must be another problem besides no program in the memory.

Yeah, I think the same thing Mark.

My money is on the firmware being corrupted somehow, which is why I was interested in a rental or borrow program, to get my hands on the firmware upgrade chip, or a service that I could mail my 5/04 to and have the use their upgrade kit to flash my PLC. I don't really want to spend $150 to buy a firmware kit off eBay just to find out the problem is deeper than some corrupted firmware.

abishur,

in regards to the firmware upgrade, did you check the position of the firmware upgrade jumper? is it in the edit or run position?
j4 should be jumpered to pins 1 and 2 for the run position.

regards,
james

abishur,

You have a Series C 1747-541, so this may be pertinent to your specific problem...

If your controller was manufactured between May 2004 - August 2005, then there is a good chance that this is your issue...

AB Knowledgebase: 60708 - SLC 5/04 and SLC 5/05 Processors Hard Fault with Solid Red Fault LED
Access Level: Everyone

George

I tried setting it manually to 57.6K and still no love, but I'm also using RS232 not Datahighway (I don't have any method for connecting to the DH+ port, the cheapest options I've found were $1,000+)

Shorting VBB and GND for a full 2 minutes didn't seem to help either, but it was worth the shot!

Sorry, I can't let this one go.
You can buy a used 1770-KF2 box on eBay for under $100