Quickie

stephen

does unitary type plc mean the same thing as Brick type? and why is there so many different names for the same parts its confusing enough

You say tomatoe......

The term "Unitary" is, to the best of my knowledge, used only in HNC programs in the UK.

Why are there so many different languages? It's all based in history, I suppose.

Living in Belgium I don't know what HNC means, but judging on the questions coming from that direction I would think it means "Has No Clue".

Regards,

Ah, Jean Pierre, you missed the memo. HNC is, as I recollect, the Higher Normal Course, and is apparently the standard curriculum in the UK for training electrical technicians. The course material and syllabus was apparently set about 20 years ago by a bureaucrat that once walked through a factory that had PLCs in it.

A number of our frequent and truly professional contributors have confessed to being graduates of this program, so apparently the course doesn't do any permanent harm. It does beg the question, though, about what is covered in the "Lower Normal Course", doesn't it?

There is Higher National Certificate and Higher National Diploma.

Once these are completed there is another course that follows that is in more detail again (which I can't remember the name of)

I agree that it's outdated but the course is quite broad and normally gets people into the mindset I suppose. Most technicians do other courses in more specific things and so the HNC is only a taster.

It should be re-written I agree however.

Once these are completed there is another course that follows that is in more detail again (which I can't remember the name of)

It's called RWE (Real World Experience).

Based on some of the things I've seen instructors assign their student, I'm glad I learned on my own.

HNC is Higher National Certificate

Originally posted by Tom Jenkins

A number of our frequent and truly professional contributors have confessed to being graduates of this program, so apparently the course doesn't do any permanent harm

Yes Tom, I am afraid I will have to admit to being educated to that level. The damage is not permanent but I still have trouble sleeping at night on occasions, the mental scars are still there and some of the posters from the UK do not help! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Xion

Most technicians do other courses in more specific things and so the HNC is only a taster

Perhaps you would be so kind as to enlighten me as to what the HNC is only a taster for?

As someone who spent many years in higher education (City & Guilds, ONC and HNC) studying electrical engineering, I didn't realise (nor did my employer at the time) that vast sums of money and at least eight years were spent educating me in 'taster' courses.

The only 'course' I could have done after HNC was a degree, and frankly that did not appeal to me.

Paul

This is Xxen.

I only meant that the HNC can not really prepare you for the real world in my experience. Just like all education. A degree is worthless until the experience and work is gained afterwards

Harsh words Mr Xxen

An education is certantly not useless. Other wise any one from the street could walk in and start working on this stuff. Which as we all know it takes a special kind of nut to do this stuff. I have also found that Exerence is not everthing. Myself the more I do the better I get (Expereince good). However, once and a while I run across a guy with 20 years "Experiance" and wonder what rock this guy has been hidding under. Although I sertantly dont want to offend any one here, because man some of the stuff you guys talk about, and the way you answer the question is just awsome.

Sorry a little off topic again