Specific Energy

YoungWint

If I want to find the specific energy of a pump would I be right in assuming the following, what I want is to get specific energy in kw/m3.

Take the instantaneous motor kW and divide it by the flow rate at flowmeter (this is m3 converted from l/s (x3.6))

This then give me a figure! The problem now is that the instantaneous figure is quite low and I require an integer to sent to other system. What I was thinking was to also accumulate this figure on a one second pulse as I believe the external system can handle this and look for a value change.

Does this seem reasonable? Any other ideas?

Many Thanks

What are you trying to accomplish with this calculation? Note that the value you get is valid at only one head (discharge pressure.)

I've done something like this for pumps in the past, but swapped it around to ls / kw. I was more interested in pump efficiency over time (looking for a performance degradation...), and / or finding the sweet spot in variable speed applications.

Can you add a couple of dp in the PLC, and scale back in the "other system" to make the numbers work??