Mistubishi Data Register

PFrog

Hello,

Have a question that can hopefully have a simple answer. I want to track machine cycle counts to an HMI. Mitsubishi A series PLC and a GOT panel. The concern that I have is that the value of the number could get very large (500,000) and I would not want to fault out the PLC. Is there a way I could get a large cycle count and not have to worry about how large the value gets? I could cap the value to make sure it stays within a certain range also (in case people forget to reset it)

Thanks

A standard data register contains 16 bits so the value stored within it ranges from -32768 to +32767. But you can make that a double data register making the range from -2 mill to +2 mill. To do this place a 'D' in front of the instruction moving the number into the register, for example if you move that value into D0 the next 16 bits will cascade into D1 and from that point when referencing D0-that reference will include D1

If you want to limit the value so it will not overflow and cause an alarm you can use a limiting instruction like:

[D> D0 k500000]-----[DMOV k500000 D0]

when the value in D0(&D1) is greater than 500000 then move a value of 500000 into D0(&D1)

I think the biggest number you can use in double registers is far bigger than 2 million.

I think it's more like 2147483647 and I don't even know what you call this number - bigger than a trillion :)

I think the biggest number you can use in double registers is far bigger than 2 million.

I think it's more like 2147483647 and I don't even know what you call this number - bigger than a trillion :)

That would be two billion, one hundred forty seven million, four hundred eighty three thousand, six hundred forty seven. Not quite a trillion.

Oops. My bad. You are correct. fat fingered thet mill gents. I always get caught up when it comes to 32 bits.

How can I increment this count value? I can use a counter, but it seems like I can't enter a K value of 200000. Is there a way to enter a larger value into the counter, and then use instructions to keep the value capped so I don't have a fault?

Another question I have is how could I take a data register from an AB controller into a Mitsubishi type A controller? I would like to be able to access a N7 register in Mitsubishi. Any advice on this either?

Thanks!

How can I increment this count value? I can use a counter, but it seems like I can't enter a K value of 200000. Is there a way to enter a larger value into the counter, and then use instructions to keep the value capped so I don't have a fault?

Another question I have is how could I take a data register from an AB controller into a Mitsubishi type A controller? I would like to be able to access a N7 register in Mitsubishi. Any advice on this either?

Thanks!

Instead of a counter you can use the INC instruction and increment the value in a data register.
To handle the larger number you would use DINC. Keep in mind you may need to use the pulse form of the instruction because the number in the register will climb as long as the preceding instruction is true.

Dave

yes, use DINCP but remember whichever D register you use it will automatically use the next consecutive register to store the 32 bit number - ie DINCP D0 will use D0 & D1.

Fot your HMI you would just use D0 to display the value

That sounds great guys! Thanks for the explanation. I would not need to worry about any count overruns with this setup correct? I would just want to verify that I'm not going to fault out the PLC if a very large number builds in the register (if someone forgets to reset the counter for a few years).

I would just want to verify that I'm not going to fault out the PLC if a very large number builds in the register (if someone forgets to reset the counter for a few years).

Set a trap so if the value is >= max value then dont increment...easy