Communication among SLC 5/05s

Hi,

I have three machines working on Allen Bradley SLC 05/5 each and they are mutually exclusive. Now, we are installing a new machine which will have a SLC 5/05. I need exahcnge some I/Os and internal signals between this new PLC and the other three existing PLCs. The ethernet port in all existing PLCs is already in use for plant network. Hardwinring is not an option. The new PLC need not be an SLC 5/05 and we have option to decide as per our convenience.

Can somebody help me in figuring out what can be done to set-up this communciation ?

Also attaching a picture so you can understand it better.

Thanks,
Saurabh

Untitled.jpg

What ethernet addresses are you using on the 3 existing PLC's, as an example 10.50.100.XXX
What address is the New Plc going to be on

Even though you want to send inforation about the state of some of the I/O in a SLC 505, you will be doing it by messages setup in each PLC, which is normally only checking every few seconds or on change of state, this is considerably slower than what directly connected I/O would do from a PLC main rack to its remote rack.

This messaging should be no problem to do on your existing ethernet network if all the PLC's are on the same sub net

If the plc's are on different subnets another option might be to install a DeviceNet scanner in each rack making your new one as master and the other 3 as slaves. You can then exchange data quite simply to and from your 3 existing cpu's to the the new one but it's by no means a cheap option.

Regards,

Barry

You could always use serial (DF1)-to-ethernet converters connected to wi-fi radios. Could be a bit expensive. However, if the PLCs are already on the plant network, why is it not possible to hardwire another network?

You could always use serial (DF1)-to-ethernet converters connected to wi-fi radios. Could be a bit expensive. However, if the PLCs are already on the plant network, why is it not possible to hardwire another network?

Sorry, I see that "hardwire" is probably referring to I/O and not network cabling. In this case, DF1-to-Ethernet converters, like Digi One-IAP would work fine

The important question is whether or not the new controller can also be connected to the "plant network". If it can, then you just use MSG instructions to transfer data between controllers.

I agree that a DeviceNet arrangement using the Slave feature of the 1747-SDN would be fast and reliable.

Another option would be to use a 1:1 NAT device at each SLC-5/05, which would allow you to attach them all to a different automation network.

The Allen-Bradley 9300-ENA is purpose-built for that sort of application.

The important question is whether or not the new controller can also be connected to the "plant network". If it can, then you just use MSG instructions to transfer data between controllers.

I agree that a DeviceNet arrangement using the Slave feature of the 1747-SDN would be fast and reliable.

Another option would be to use a 1:1 NAT device at each SLC-5/05, which would allow you to attach them all to a different automation network.

Hi all,
Will this solution work for me? Adding an "Ethernet Switch" in the network.

Please guide.

If your existing 3 plc's are on the same plant network and can communicate with each other already then adding a new switch if you have no ports available in the existing one would work quite easily as long as you make the network settings of the new plc within the same range as the existing ones.

Barry

What ethernet addresses are you using on the 3 existing PLC's, as an example 10.50.100.XXX
What address is the New Plc going to be on

Even though you want to send inforation about the state of some of the I/O in a SLC 505, you will be doing it by messages setup in each PLC, which is normally only checking every few seconds or on change of state, this is considerably slower than what directly connected I/O would do from a PLC main rack to its remote rack.

This messaging should be no problem to do on your existing ethernet network if all the PLC's are on the same sub net
Hey,

I just found that the new PLC can also be put on the plant network. Now about using "MSG Intructions" I have doubts ? How frequently does messages get exchanged ? I mean do I need to trigger each MSG instructions each time to upadte itself or they can do it themselves ?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Saurabh

Hey,

I just found that the new PLC can also be put on the plant network. Now about using "MSG Intructions" I have doubts ? How frequently does messages get exchanged ? I mean do I need to trigger each MSG instructions each time to upadte itself or they can do it themselves ?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Saurabh

The message instruction can be configured to continually trigger by using a NC message.en bit but if you have lots of message instructions it's best to configure them to trigger sequentially.

Barry

Hi

It also depends on how often you need the information to update.
You could use a timer and only update ever few second or even longer depends on what you need.
Donnchadh

The message instruction can be configured to continually trigger by using a NC message.en bit but if you have lots of message instructions it's best to configure them to trigger sequentially.

Barry
I have decided to insert a "timer" for triggering the instruction. System need not remain updated continuously. Every 2 seconds will also work.

Thanks,
Saurabh