PLC wont start the wind turbine

ronpittc

Hi I'm Ron im a technician and im working in the wind power industry (wind turbines) and i got this job in PLC wherein we replace the OLD plc from the new one we got. The Old PLC we got is a Texas Instrument PLC that is so old, and now we purchased the Direct 205 KOYO.

We are done with the wirings and all the input and outputs and we are ready to test the wind turbine, but we are having problem in trying to start it.

by the way let me explain how the wind turbine works here are the stages that shows in the computer monitor.

tracking mode- its tracking if it has enough wind to start
Blade Roll Mode- tip testing ready to start
Brake release- the brakes for the propellers are released and its ready to go.
RUN MODE- ONLINE producing power.

The problem we have is that it goes to tracking mode and blade roll and RUn mode and break release then it will brake again and it wont go online (NOTE: normally it should release the brakes continuesly, to spin if it sees no error that can cause the brakes to engage). It should start and go to RUN MODE start continuesly.. but it just stops spinning and engage the brakes to stop it from spinning, but the program still runs, we test the power supply for the analog controllers, inputs and outputs everything looks good. i'm trapped on where to go... what could be the possible problem for it?

Last edited:
First, if you would upload a zipped file of the program it would help anyone else troubleshoot it.

Second, I would double check that the PLC is an exact match. Did you just change the CPU in the existing rack - or did you install a completely new system? (PLC, rack, IO cards?)

ronpittc said:

The problem we have is that it goes to tracking mode and blade roll and RUn mode and break release then it will brake again and it wont go online (NOTE: normally it should release the brakes continuesly, to spin if it sees no error that can cause the brakes to engage). It should start and go to RUN MODE start continuesly.. but it just stops spinning and engage the brakes to stop it from spinning, but the
[/quote

Monitor the brake coil in the program and see what is dropping out.

You should see the brake coil come on, which should release the brake. Somewhere between this brake release and going into run mode there is something telling the brake to re-engage.

Describe in detail what tells the brakes to release in the first place. What sensors does it use? Is there a chance that the sensors are getting a false reading during the startup phase?

Basically if the problem is that the brakes re-engage unexpectedly, then that is the part of the code that you are going to want to monitor.

One other thing, relax, it's just one's and zero's :)

John

ronpittc,

There are probably some differences between the old TI PLC and the new DL-205. The program may not work without some modifications.

If you have already de-bugged for those PLC differences, then go back and look for double Outputs, where you have used the same PLC output more than once in the program. If the Brake coil appears two difference places, the last one is probably overriding the first one.