5/01 Ethernet Question

ReCaChrist

Newbie here.
I have a 5/03 in my plant, and a 5/01 to test with at office & home. I consider myself blessed to not have to be in the plant when I want to test. I want to remote connect (over VPN ethernet) to my 5/03 for monitoring and program load/revision. My 5/01 has a 1747-KE module which I know allows DF1 communications and a DH485 link to my plc processor. On my laptop is a USB port which I can use with a USB to serial converter to talk over DF1 port in KE module. Able to see KE module and PLC, able to UPLOAD program from PLC, but UNABLE to download program to PLC. I have a UIC with which I CAN upload/monitor/download program. ALL connections require me to be tethered to the PLC cabinet.
My thought has been to perfect (a workable) connection on 5/01 then make permanant ethernet connection with 5/03 at a later date. I have multiple plants with mostly older 5/01 processors. My intention has been to use a Lantronix UDS100 to convert my TCP/IP to RS232 (DF1) and connect. Mixed to poor results so far. As I am new as a shiny penny, I am not surprised.
I have read many of the AB articles/books on DF1, KE modules, RSLinx, RSLogix, etc. I am confident I don't know enough to ask good questions so am hopeful someone will be very patient with me.
Thank you for your anticipated response, I will supply more appropriate data as soon as I learn what it is.

I doubt it will work, the 5/01 is DH485 (not RS485) the Lantronix UDS100 has been out of production for about 5 years so you may have better luck with something newer but knowing DH485 I still do not think it will work

Depending on how much your budget is as there are several ways to do it but anyone of them will not be cheap

Typo in post

I stated I had a Lantronix UDS100 but it should read UDS1100. I just updated firmware to latest and greatest. Thanks for your prompt reply GIT.

I stated I had a Lantronix UDS100 but it should read UDS1100. I just updated firmware to latest and greatest. Thanks for your prompt reply GIT.

Still going to be tough...

Let us know if you get it working with them

The ENI (that Helliana pointed out) will work but you need to have one at every CPU and they will not work on the DH CPU's

If you have them on a network such as DH or DH+ then you can send the whole network to Ethernet, still not cheap any way you look at it

Best of luck!