lcd

Johnny Rotten

This is an odd one. I want to play around with some optics and different light sources. Does anyone make a LCD screen of very high pixel density that would behave like a welders screen would? Meaning, I want to put a light source behind this LCD screen, and simply have light go through the transparent pixels and blocked by the opaque pixels. The LCD screen would have to have the ability to update itself quickly.

And of course I'm going to control all the timing with a PLC lol.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Gotta admit, I'm both confused and intrigued at the same time!:ROFLMAO:

I don't think I've ever seen a transmissive display that didn't have a backlight attached to it.

May I ask for more specifics on what you are looking to do? I may not have a solution myself, but I may know of others who might!

I did come across these guys a while back. May be worth a look.

LCD is not very fast, but is possible, as there are LCD televisions.
have a look at arduino, that is faster and more versatile for this.

If the light source is so powerful, wouldnt it heat up the LCD and destroy that as well ?

Anyway, if you google "transparant LCD" you will get plenty hits.
And I think that you could make any LCD transparant if you opened the housing and removed the backlighting.

If by "very high pixel density" you mean it can really block the light much more efficiently than a regular LCD, then that may be the problem. It is relatively easy to get very bright LCDs, but the blacks have a tendency to be greyish because the pixels cannot block the light 100%.

The current lasers are not fast enough to do what I want to do. They are close. I've been working with 2 laser companies and we've been trying some stuff. I could not imagine how they triangulate their position and do what they do so quickly even still. So I starting thinking, why have the laser move at all, why not have a stationary laser source and use some kind of optics to do what I want to do. In theory it would work, whether they make such optics that are able to withstand certain laser sources, I know not. Basically an electrical/optical print head. One to be used in industrial conditions, will keep the rest a secret lol. In-box me if anyone would like to help. Have a great day.