Siemens MP Protool

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi I have a customer with a faulty MP377 (6AV65450DA100AX0) configured with Protool. I have a copy of the Protool project

My distributor says I need to buy a new MP377 (6AV66440AA012AX0)

So...

Q1. Can I use protocol with the new MP377?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is no, could I goto site and use prosave to upload old HMI and download to the new?

A last resort would be to import to WinCC Flex but 2008SP3 doesn't allow for that.... not very helpful Siemens.. SP2 VM required.

Q1. Can I use protocol with the new MP377?

No- MP377 are never programmed with Protool
they are programmed with WinCC Flex

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is no, could I goto site and use prosave to upload old HMI and download to the new?

Yes- you can upload the compiled program from the panel and download to the exact type of MP panel

A last resort would be to import to WinCC Flex but 2008SP3 doesn't allow for that.... not very helpful Siemens.. SP2 VM required.

You need the WinCC Flex project and then change the panel to newer type or whatever you want to do
WinCC Flex SP2 can convert Protool projects

Last edited:
Not the last resort. It is the proper solution.

JRW said:

Yes- you can upload the compiled program from the panel and download to the exact type of MP panel
You mean:
"No- you can upload the compiled program from the panel, but only download to an exact same type of MP panel"

Hi
Thanks for replies.

Jesper I realise the perfect solution is WinCC Flexible update but my main issue is TIME. Our wonderful sales guy has quoted for 1 day and I think importing to WinCC Flex and checking the tags/screens/buttons/security etc is more than that. The system is under validation (FDA) so is going to be tricky.

So, Prosave wont allow a download to a newer MP terminal of the same size but only for identical part number? Seems a bit silly to me.

Is there a technote of any known issues? It is a touch panel.

Cheers

If you have tried to migrate from a Protool based panel to a WinCC Flexible panel before it will not take so long, less than a day.
If it is the first time, then consider it an investment.
The biggest annoyances IMO are that the buttons may be different or have lost some of the in Protool assigned functions, and that the alarm banner works differently. Alarms, Tags and screen design convert well and you dont have to check it 100%.

The prosave images are really images, and since there are differences in both hardware on operating system, it makes sense that it wont work. (or maybe it might work some of the times but Siemens wont stand the avalance of complaints when it doesnt so they chose to just disallow it completely).

Jesper
Thanks

I will need to do a change note for each button, data entry, security , alarm etc
confirming it all works so more than 1 day. Visual check and quick test is 1 day but paperwork is more

Thanks.

I missed your typo in your first message
You have an mp370 and want to convert to a mp377

I thought you were going from an mp377 to another mp377

So the question is- do you have the complete original protool project?

Hi
Yes I have the full PLC & HMI project (Protool)

I tried the conversion...looks ok on my laptop but not checked any events or tags or security etc