Industrial routers

dbozic

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!
Could anybody shed some light on this topic and tell his experience and recommendations. We are interested in placing an industrial router with DIN mount capabilities in our control cabinet so programmer could access over secure internet connection and work on our plc network.
I am looking at e_WON cosy which seems like a good choice(and 1st I run into). Does anybody have any experience with it? Or does anybody have any better recommendations?
I would be greatly thankfull.

EDIT: e_WON (without _) displaying as ****

Phoenix Contact Makes a Din Rail Mount ethernet switch That we have used. Not sure about a Router.

B&B makes a nice switch. The model is ES105 for a 5 port. They make a 8 port too. It has a metal case and is DIN rail mountable. It is also class 1 Div 2 rated for hazardous areas. I have used them with great rests for several years now.

We are interested in placing an industrial router with DIN mount capabilities in our control cabinet so programmer could access over secure internet connection and work on our plc network.
Please put a switch on the router (or unplug it when not needed), otherwise your entire PLC network is only as safe as the sorriest low-down scoundrel (janitor, parking valet, repairman) that works for the company on the other end.

Do you really want to take that risk?

Greetings,

Feel free to consider the Lynx product from Westermo. This product line can be ordered either for layer 2 or layer 3 functionality:

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Westermo/lynx_managed_ethernet_switches.htm

Manuals and date sheets are available through this link.

Should you have any additional questions, feel free to respond to this post, pm or email through the link provided below.

Shalom

I have used several of the Cosy devices. They were branded under Spectrum Controls here in the US. They work great. The only thing is the higher end model has some very technical menus, but if you need to forward Internet traffic to your LAN side then that's the one you want. If you only need to access PLC's and other items on the network, then the lower end model works great and the setup wizard is extremely easy to use.

I have used several VPN style routers in the past, and I like the *****'s because there is no need to keep track of the external IP addresses. They all connect to their server and it's a simple mouse click to connect.

Thank you all on answers and sorry for late respond.
I'm not an expert on IT, we already have siemens ethernet switch CSM377 connected on the s7-300 plc. So, would we need just a regular router connected to internet, connected to one of the ports of ethernet switch to be capable of accessing the PLC over TIA or Step7 and uploading and changing program?

I think the e_WON cosy would be a great fit for your application.

We've used several in the past with great success.
Very simple setup, and you can forward internet traffic to the
machine LAN by tweaking a few settings.