Primer on Motion Control - where can I find one?

Hisma

I am currently a controls engineer in the energy industry and work mainly with hydro and gas turbines. I am looking to change jobs, and I am looking at an opportunity with a company that does factory automation.

I meet most of the requirements, but one big thing I am missing is motion control experience. Motion control is just not needed in turbine control, and even though I am somewhat familiar with the principles on a fundamental level, I would like to know if there is a book or website out there I can use to gather some good information on motion control in PLCs.

Anyone willing to help point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I see servo motors are important devices in motion control applications. Can a turbine governor be seen as a close comparison to the principle of a servomotor? From what I am reading, they are very similar. Closed loop control, reads an input and adjusts the output based on an error signal between the commanded vs actual position, usually with PID control.

Is that essentially how a servomotor operates, from a controls perspective?