1747-SDN Ver 6.002

PhilipW

Wellington, New Zealand. Islands on the edge of th
I have run into several issues when doing a firmware upgrade on two SLC500 1747-SDN scanners from Ver 4.015 to Ver 6.002. The processor is a 1747-L551 16k OS501. I am using Ver 6.000 RSLogix 500.

The ControlFlash upgrade process has appeared to work just fine and completed with no problems. The SCT and Mapping tables all appear to work just fine. So far so good. One of the scanners is reporting no errors, and the other is reporting some missing nodes which really are missing, so no worries there.

However one of the reasons to do the upgrade was to get the Device Active Table feature (the 4 words of table starting at M1:S:206) but it just does not appear to work. One scanner has all the bits ON but even when I remove a slave node from the network, the data stays static.

On the other scanner there is a pattern of bits ON and OFF that in no way relates to what is present and functioning on the network. Again the data is static.

The instruction used to buffer the data is:

COP #M1:8.206 #N251:0 4

The program then looks at the data in the N file.

While nutting around to resolve this I also tried to increase the size of the M files from the old 361 words, to the 395 recomended for Ver 6.002. This compiled just fine offline, but online it halted the processor with a message along the lines "the M file is too large for the module". Only when I returned it to 361 words would it run work again. It was almost as the processor still thinks the scanners are at Ver 4.015, but am not aware that there is any processor/scanner firmware dependency.

On the other hand RSNetworx and RSLinx happily report the firmware in both scanners as Ver 6.0002.

The Installation manual describes two relevant tables in the Scanner M1 files:

1. The Active Node Table at M1:S:206 and

2. The Device Failure Table at M1:S:216.

the way I am reading the manual, one table is just the inverse of the other...so what is the practical difference between them? Basically I want to know if a node is lost off the network due to a broken cable or network damage.

This is a rather unusual system in that switching events only occur months apart, so if a node is lost I want to know now...not in six months time when a load fails to switch when I want it to....hence my desire to get this obscure feature to work.

Unfortunately I can only get access to this system from 9pm Saturdays to 5am Sundays, and not all weekends, so I didn't have time to waste on this last night. Any help muchly appreciated.