SLC 5/03 connectivity issues

snowfreak14

Hi everyone,

I am new to both this forum and to working with AB and Rockwell devices. My current problem is I am trying to connect my PC to the SLC 5/03 but cannot establish a connection. I am under the impression that with the SLC being set to DH485, I will not be able to connect using my 9pin serial to USB cable because of the 11 bit system. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.🤞🏻

Welcome to the Forum !

The SLC-5/03 has both a DH485 network port (top, 8-pin modular plug) and a multi-purpose RS-232 port (bottom, DB9 male plug).

The RS-232 port, named Channel 0, is usually set for DF1 Full Duplex protocol. This will work fine through most USB/RS232 converters.

You are correct that general-purpose USB/RS-232 converters will not work with the old "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver. There are special USB/DH485 interfaces available from A-B and from Industrial Concepts, both under the part number "1747-UIC".

A very simple diagnostic is to look at the Ch0 LED on the controller when there is no cable connected to it. If it's blinking at about 1 Hz, the port is configured for DH485 protocol. If it's OFF, the port is probably configured for DF1 Full Duplex, but might be configured for something else (Modbus, ASCII, disabled, etc).

This afternoon I was faced with an SLC-5/03 that had both ports configured for DH485, and I had no 1747-UIC with me. Fortune favors the bold, and I had a backup copy of the program, so I shut off power, pulled the SLC, disconnected the battery, and shorted out VBB and GND on the motherboard for a minute to clear the memory. When I repowered it, the user program was gone and the RS-232 port was back in DF1 Full Duplex mode.

What do you mean by the ch 0 light. On the CPU itself? The FLT light is flashing at a constant pace, but fast than 1 Hz, the DH 485 light is flashing green at about 1 hz. A little more back ground into the situation, I, being new to the PLC game, connected an ethernet into the DH 485 port like an idiot(one running on no sleep) and it killed power to the rack. I'm guessing I cooked the CPU but would anyone else agree with me on that or is it possible the card is okay. I did pull the battery hoping the EPROM would kick in when I powered it back up, however it didn't. Do i need to short out the card or will that kill my EPROM. To make matters worse I don't have a copy of my program.

Little more info on what Eddie has stated....

The top port that looks like an Ethernet (RJ45) is DH485 and you will need a 1747-UIC cable to use that port, you can see here for a video on how to set it up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWgu1jdAPkE

Note that the port has 24VDC on it so... as you found out if you plug in anything other then the correct cable you will burn up any Ethernet device (Laptop/PC, Ethernet switch, etc)

The bottom port is RS232 and you need a 1747-CP3 cable and can use this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIu1AGUR4N8

You can also use a cross over null modem cable if and SOME RS232 to USB's cables (not all will work)

The bottom port can be configured to other modes, if you remove the eeprom and remove the battery you can short out the VBB and GND pins on the back side of the CPU this will clear all of faults.... NOTE this will also remove your program and any settings so if you do not have the program this should ONLY be used as your last resort

Hope this helps
Mark

EDIT: Forgot to add the reason for the reply...

I'm guessing I cooked the CPU but would anyone else agree with me

I think you should be OK, I have done it several times and never smoked the CPU

Last edited:
Hi Snow, May I direct you to the below thread as I have recently experienced the same issue.

The combination of FLT and DH485 lights you have flashing is telling me that the processor has been reset to factory condition and does not hold a program. (This is what I found anyway)

If you set up RSLinx as the screen shot in the thread using the DF1 driver, you should be able to connect using your null modem cable connected to channel 0, assuming your real serial com port on your PC is ok (another issue that caught me out) or using one of the proven USB serial converters that have been recommended on this forum.

Hope this helps.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=84422

Sorry just realised the screen shot is from RSLogix 500 channel config page.

But if you use DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx and use "auto config" you should be able to connect.