Omron C28k Plc Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to connect to an OMRON C28k SYSMAC plc , i'm using LSS 3.02 DOS program and the LK201 host link module. I've constructed a cable (9 pin to 25 pin) using 2-2 , 3-3, & 5-7 with 4 & 5 on the 25 side jumped and the 7 & 8 on the 9 pin side jumped. (just like what's mentioned in the OMRON helpsheet). LSS is setup correct, com port is right, & the baud rate matches. I still get a COMMUNICATION ERROR.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried syswin using the same setup and got the same result. I then assumed the syswin wounldn't work on such an old system. I have the dip switches set as instructed by the omron help sheet.

thanks for your reply.

I am not sure but I think you right you need null modem cabel.
I am not in my office, so I cannot check it out, it so old I do not much remember.

Nathan, what is the exact part number of the hostlink unit you are using.

Omron released two such devices.

One does the C20's and K serise PLC's the other does the H series of PLC's. They look identical however they are not compatible.

For the C20's and K series look for a C20-LK201 part number, theree might also be a 3G2C7-LK201..

For a C200H or H series in general look for a part number of C120-LK201. Or 3G2A6-LK201...

:oops:

I believe that you have the right cable connection.

the SW settings should also be as follows..

Also when you try to go online, do you get any action on the lights on the Hostlink unit at all....
LSS or Syswin trying to connect will send out a hostlink command that requests the PLC model. It will try this 3 times, therefore you should see 3 short flashes, if you don't then assuming everything equal 1. cable problem, 2, PC serial port problem, 3. LK201 problem 4. Software compatibility problem.

BTW did you get Syswin as Arik suggested ? Syswin can even work on todays computers with XP...
:D

pin settings.gif

Last edited:
thanks again sleepy

All I show on my host link is the "ready" LED

I've tried to put a pic of the helpsheet pin settings I have on this post, but I don't know what I'm doing so here's the settings my sheet says:

Switch 1 1-7 off 8 on

Switch 2 1 on 2 off 3 on 4-8 off

Switch 3 1 on 7-8 off

Any idea why I have something different?

I tried SYSWIN but only got "No Response From PLC" when I tried to connect. Will SYSWIN even work with such an old PLC?

I appreciate your help

Nathan

Last edited:
Any idea why I have something different?

Yeh, i posted the settings for the C120 LK201...

Your settings are correct....

I tried SYSWIN but only got "No Response From PLC" when I tried to connect. Will SYSWIN even work with such an old PLC?

Yes, Syswin will program all models preceeding the CJ1 and CS1 PLC which it cannot do.

Finally, did the RCV light flash at all when you tried to connect to the PLC as i describe before..

Are you sure that your comm's port is working on the PC, then Hostlink ?

Have you double checked the cable to make sure that there is not a cold solder joint ?

The PC port might be locked up...have you rebooted the PC.

Try cycling the power to the PLC, you should have to do this but i know your getting desparate.

Honestly, I didn't notice the LED blinking

I guess what you mean by "cold solder point" is measuring continuity between each pin?

I have questioned my cable even though I have went by the Omron help sheet. It stated that pinouts should be:
(9 pin female to 25 pin male) 2-2, 3-3, 5-7, with the 7&8 pin joined at the 9 pin side & the 4&5 joined at 25 side.

I tried a null modem cable also today but no change. I did notice that the pin holes on the host link seem to show a connection at the
1-5 pin, at the 7 pin, and at the 20 pin.

My null modem cable looked like this

Signal Name DB-9 Pin fem to DB-25 pin male
FG (Frame Ground) - 1 FG
TD (Transmit Data) 2 3 RD
RD (Receive Data) 3 2 TD
RTS (Request To Send) 8 5 CTS
CTS (Clear To Send) 7 4 RTS
SG (Signal Ground) 5 7 SG
DSR (Data Set Ready) 4 20 DTR
CD (Carrier Detect) 4 20 DTR
DTR (Data Terminal Ready) 1 8 CD
DTR (Data Terminal Ready) 6 6 DSR

Let me give the situation from the start. Got an alarm code on the front display of the unit. Found that the battery lead had been corroded so bad that the lead had came out of the battery. Replaced the battery. Now with power on, I show no outputs. I still show inputs though, so i've been trying to connect to see is I can even establish a comm with the unit. I'm assuming the program is gone.

All the efforts I've made in the previous posts have also been done on a good, working unit on another machine. But I still can't get a connection. My hopes are to establish connection to wear I can simply pull the prog from a good unit and download it to the other.

However, these use an EEPROM, right? Counldn't I just replace that with a newly flashed one?

Most of C serias PLCs did not came with EEprom only battery for backup.
It look like the problem in your cabel or PC port.
Try to connect your PC to other PLC to see if the port is function.

Where's Jay Anthony?...

I'm staring at my LK201, and I'm questioning both yours and Sleepy's DIP switch settings. Mine lists the last 4 switches in SW2 as "Not Used". Mine are all set to OFF. The same is true for SW3. Switches 2 through 8 of SW3 are also labeled "Not Used", and are all OFF on mine.

Nathan, are you sure LSS is set to use the correct COM port and the right baud rate? I would try communicating at 9600, not the 19.2 that your switches are currently set to. I don't use LSS or Syswin. I used the old tried and true CAPS software. I have CAPS set to 9600, 7 data bits, 2 stop bits, and EVEN parity.

To clarify, my switches are set as follows (1=ON, 2=OFF):

SW1 0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1
SW2 1-0-1-0-0-0-0-0
SW3 1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

And for the hell of it, here's a picture:

[attachment]
beerchug

-Eric

lk201.jpg