Windows 7 and Logix 5000 ver. 16

jkerekes

I thought I read a thread on this forum about getting Logix 5000 ver. 16 to run on Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit), even though it isn't supposed to according to Rockwell. Do someone know something about this? Can it be done? Thanks!

I am running V13-21 in Windows 7 64 bit. If I remember right, the ticket to getting V16 working was having the .NET 1.1 SP1 framework in stalled. You may also have to set the installer to "XP compatibility mode" and run it as administrator.

Thanks. I knew someone said here that they got it working. I wonder why Rockwell says it's incompatible.

Whenever I have discussed this with our local Rockwell people they always say that they just don't test older versions with newer operating systems. Their stance has been: "Officially we say it is incompatible however it will most likely work fine". And it does.

RSLogix 5000 v16 was released in 2007. Windows 7 was released in 2009.

Vista or Win7 (I think it was Vista) completely rewrote the Windows help system. None of the v16 help files open unless you download a fix from MS. I suspect there was a lot of that going on. Hard to guarantee your software will work when it requires patches to the O/S.

OG

Understood. Trying to help a customer that has many L55 CLX processors and they need a new laptop for the technicians. Time to get away from XP too. Customer feels that VMs are not an option.

Hi

I had the same with a guy I do a lot if work for and he asked me to get him a laptop. I went over vm ware with him and td him how perfect it would be but either I did not explain it correct or he did not understand it but I had to get him a 32 bit windows 7 PC which was nearly the same price as 64 bit that had a lot more ram.

I think VMware will take a little longer to catch on for some but I feel it's the way to go

Donnchadh