cast aluminium vs epoxy coated cast aluminum vs epoxy coated cast iron

Charbel

Dear,

i know this is not a PLC question but i need to know what is difference between cast aluminum, cast aluminum epoxy coated and cast iron epoxy coated in terms of protection against fuel jet A1. These can be specified for an enclosure of a magnetrol FLS switch.

thank you for your feedback!

charbel

I need to know what is difference between cast aluminum, cast aluminum epoxy coated and cast iron epoxy coated in terms of protection against fuel jet A1.
Cast aluminum electrical enclosures should work just fine and you can buy Class I Hazardous Area enclosures made of cast aluminum. Many Jet A1 fuel tanks are made of aluminum. Jet fuel has corrosion inhibiters added, but is slightly corrosive to ferrous metal (steel, cast iron) parts. I assume that your electrical enclosures will only be contacted by transient vapors and will not be immersed in the fuel!

Non-corrosivity

Jet fuel contacts a variety of materials during distribution and use. It is essential that the fuel not corrode any of these materials, especially those in aircraft fuel systems. Typically, fuel tanks are aluminum, but fuel systems also contain steel and other metals.