Siemens S5

sparky64

I'm trying to edit a project, but every time i try to add or delete a condition, i get the message 'Memory in PLC not adequate', it then asks me if i want to compress, and i click yes.......i then try to edit again, but get the same message as before.
My S5 knowledge is very limited, so any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers
Sparky

That's a more or less normal situation. If you are sending changes to the S5 PLC, the device declares the old version of that block illegal, but it remains in memory. The new version of that block is then written at the first free memory location found.

In some cases there is insufficient memory free to follow this procedure. In those cases the best procedure is:
  1. upload the block to be changed to the PC
  2. delete the old version of that block in the PLC
  3. compress the PLC memory
  4. change the block in the PC
  5. download the changed block back to the PLC
Note: you can move step 4 everywhere between steps 1 and 5.

If more than one block has to be changed, you better change this procedure to uploading the entire program to the PC, deleting the entire program in the PLC and afterwards downloading the entire changed program back to the PLC.

Kind regards,

If you already have tried Jean Pierre's procedure, you know that it most possibly will bring the PLC to a halt!

I understand your question to regard online editing, but deleting a block while the PLC is running will most likly halt the CPU if the block is referenced anywhere in the rest of the program, or even worse - it's OB1 you are deleting. If the CPU have enough memory, it is as Jean Pierre is saying, the new block is written to memory, and then between two scans, the new block is set as the active one, and the old one is marked as deleted (but it still resides in memory, and the space is not released for new use before a compress have been done).

In your case you have to stop the PLC before you follows Jean Pierre's procedure.

S5 Suggestion

sparky64

Back up your original program and all the blocks before doing anything else!

I would not advice you to edit the program online unless your pretty sure what your doing.

jvdcande pointed procedures which you can take,just dont forget to OVERALL RESET via CPU switch then DELETE program from CPU using PG. This will clear the program memory. Make sure the CPU battery and EPROM are disconnected, if your using one.

Try tidying your program, remove all unreferenced blocks. If you can, try loading blocks one at a time.

If all fails, it might be the current program is too big for the existing S5 CPU, you might want to use RAM/EEPROM module or upgrade to higher CPU model.