Need help with RSView ME and OPC

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been unsuccessfull in getting a stable OPC connection to work using ME and RSLinx 2.4. I can actually browse the tags even doing a modem connection to a SLC 5/04. However that didn't seem like a good place to try it so I tried it with a SLC 5/05 on our network here. As I mentioned in my other post I tried configuring just one numeric display, but when I tried to do a test run ME would freeze for several minutes. I eventually had to shut down ME and reboot. Being able to connect via OPC is not a necessity at the present, I just wanted to get it to work, especially for testing my project on my development machine.

more info

What were you running on top of the RSLinx? RSLogix? Some app written
in VB? MMI software?
Which RSLinx package do you have? Lite? (No OPC in lite!)
Profesional?

I'm running RSLinx Professional. I'm trying to do get data out of a SLC 5/05 into RSView ME running on my PC using Linx OPC server. I started another topic before this one about the same issue which gives more detail but it kinda got off topic.

RSLinx 2.42 should give you some OPC topic diagnostics, so you can get an idea if the problem is in RSView ME or in RSLinx.

Do be sure that the RSLinx Enterprise Shortcut name isn't the same as the OPC Topic name if they're running on the same box. RSView could easily get a confusing configuration if they are.

I've used OPC and RSLinx Enterprise in conjunction with one another, but I was careful to delete one before instanciating the other.