FlexLogix to SLC 5/04

exiled

Hi gents,
Forgive my ignorance never done this before.
i have a slc 504 with bucket loads of analog inputs/outputs.
Now i need to share the input data to a FlexLogix 5433.

Any guidance as to what i need hardware/software wise

Any tips greatly appreciated

The Weather here sucks

How fast do you need the data ?

I can think of a handful of ways to exchange data between these two control systems:

1. MSG instructions via an RS-232 cable and DF1 protocol.
2. MSG instructions via 1761-NET-ENI (on SLC-5/04 Channel 0) and EtherNet/IP protocol.
3. MSG instructions via Ethernet or ControlNet and a 1756-DHRIO module.
4. ControlNet scheduled connection via 1788-CNBR and 1747-SCNR
5. DeviceNet I/O connection via 1788-DNB and 1747-SDN

Does the SLC-5/04 need to keep operating ? You could re-use the 1746 I/O chassis with a 1747-ACNR adapter. I don't think the 1747-AENTR would work, since the FlexLogix doesn't support new enough firmware to scan it.

Ken I thought the 1747-ACNR was silver seried. Well I guess so is the Flexlogix

Does the SLC-5/04 need to keep operating ? You could re-use the 1746 I/O chassis with a 1747-ACNR adapter. I don't think the 1747-AENTR would work, since the FlexLogix doesn't support new enough firmware to scan it.

Hi Ken looking at what the management want. I dont see the need for the slc to keep running. Basically there's lots of analog temp & current inputs on the slc rack that we want to use the data from.

How do we interface one with the other and not have the slc running?

The FlexLogix has two daughtercard slots, which could host ControlNet, DeviceNet, and EtherNet/IP modules.

Which network modules do you have installed ?

FlexLogix are obsolete and only went up to firmware version 16, so you're limited to the functionality in that firmware revision and the capacity of the 1788-ENBT, 1788-CNCR, or 1788-DNB modules.

As Jeff mentioned, the 1747-ACNR or 1747-SCNR modules are have been discontinued from production (Rockwell calls that "Silver Series").

I don't know if RSLogix 5000 v16 can run the 1747-AENTR adapter over EtherNet/IP. You'd have to check with Rockwell Automation about that.

To run DeviceNet, you would need a 1788-DNB in the FlexLogix, and add a 1747-SDN in Slave Mode in the SLC-5/04 chassis. The SLC-5/04 would stay running.

It would be limited to 255 bytes, which is the fragmented I/O connection limit.

There are only three Adapter-type modules that will run an SLC chassis as a network adapter to a larger controller; the RIO adapter, the ControlNet adapter, and the EtherNet/IP adapter.

The OP needs to post some more details about how his FlexLogix is equipped and what tools or technologies he has available to him.

EIP is probably out because of the AENT being a newer. I think it was rev 20 and up. Going off memory so check tge release notes.

Lots of analog eats up 255 bytes fast. So the Dnet is probably out as well.

ControlNet might be the best bet.