Newbie help with Micrologix 1100

louloizides

I'm a trying to do a project with a Micrologix 1100 Ser A for a school project. I know a little ladder logic, but haven't ever used AB PLCs.

I purchased this one off of Ebay. First I tried to get the ethernet connected to my laptop. I tried connecting it with both a normal ethernet and crossover cable as well as to my router. The bootp server didn't show anything.

So I found a serial cable (1761-CBL-PM02) and connected it directly using the RS232 DF1 driver. I used a desktop with two COM ports to avoid USB adapter complications. RSLinx isn't showing anything - I've tried both com ports. It does seem to detect that something is connected but the auto configure always results in a timeout. Also what's odd is when I right click on my own computer and go to device properties I get an "unable to establish communications with the selected device" error. I have no clue if that means anything.

Also, there is an error on the PLC. But it's code 1 which I assume probably has something to with the program currently loaded on it. But I was having a little trouble figuring it out based on the manual.

Any tips would be appreciated. I wrote the person on Ebay but they've got like 2 weeks to respond and I'm already behind in this project. I really can't afford to lose any more days trying to figure out how to get this thing connected. It should've been much easier.

plc status.jpg rswho screenshot.png

Is the Fault LED blinking red, or solid red ?

Major Error 0001h is not common; it usually means that the user memory has been corrupted by a power spike or hardware failure. The description in the User Manual is "The Default program has been loaded".

In your case, it might also be an indication that the previous owner performed a "MLCLRMEM" reset on it before sending it to you.

Try pressing the DCOMM button to get the controller into default communications mode (which it already should be) so you can try the DF1 connection again.

You don't need to use Autoconfigure; just set it up for the proper COM port number and use 19200/8/N/1 serial framing, CRC error checking, Full Duplex, and SLC/MicroLogix as the device type.

Thanks - I was actually able to get in using ethernet and set the IP. Just had to run BOOTP on Win XP instead of Win 7. And I was able to clear the fault.

But I still need the serial to work. The default webserver password isn't working. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way I could find on the net to reset it is to update the firmware. And I can't update the firmware without the serial working. I have DCOMM enabled and I've tried the settings you gave me - nothing seems to work.

I really don't care much about the firmware version on here, so if anyone knows another way to reset the password I'd love to hear it. I can get into RSLogix and upload a file. There is no password or master password set on the controller.

If you are online with logix500, check on the IP comms options that the webserver is enabled...

Might just be turned off...

Also can check /change the serial port config online. Don't think I have ever flashed a 1100. If you want to get rid of any weird setup residual, generate a new project offline and download...

I can get into the webserver using ethernet but the default administrator/ml1100 username/password combo doesn't work. That's what I need to know how to reset.

I can also get into the com port settings, but I still can't connect with the serial cable. My settings for RSLinx and the com port are attached.

Thanks for any help.

plc com config.png rslinx driver config.png

See if you can set the MicroLogix for Full Duplex without handshaking.

I don't know if RSLinx will automatically control RTS/CTS, and the 1761-CBL-PM02 cables before Series C did not have those pins connected.

Thanks - I changed it to no handshaking, but it still doesn't show up in RSLinx... would you recommend trying a different type of cable? Is there another way to get into the webserver without reflashing through the serial port?

I'm also wondering if it's some kind of a COM port setting on my PC. There aren't too many settings in device manager that I can actually change - right now I just have it matching what the PLC is using.

Are you using the SP3 version of Windows on the XP computer? Seems like I read somewhere there was some issues with SP3 on Windows XP. Does the computer have a real serial port or are you using a serial to USB adapter?

You shouldn't need to setup your comm port on your PC, the driver in linx sorts that.

If config the parameters line up at both ends, it should work unless something is broken...

Maybe break out one of the cheap USB - 232 converters...? I have not had any issues using these for DF1. If that doesn't work, guess it gets harder unless you have a spare cable & ML1100 kicking around.

I'm also wondering if it's some kind of a COM port setting on my PC. There aren't too many settings in device manager that I can actually change - right now I just have it matching what the PLC is using.
If RSLinx is set to "run as a Service", that can cause a lot of problems. Also, there is some incompatibility between RSLinx, RSLogix, and Windows XP Service Pack 3. You might try the tips in the attached file that has been posted here previously by member Malus. Note it was for Vista, but the notes say that the Compatibility must be set for Windows 2000, not Windows XP (indicating that XP also caused problems with certain functions).

Right now I've got it connected to a spare embedded PC that I had. It has an actual com port and it's running XP embedded SP3. I couldn't get bootp working with Win 7 although I'm wondering if maybe I should've tried running it as admin. I ordered a USB to serial converter but won't have it until Monday and I'm hoping to make some progress this weekend. Worst case I can also order another serial cable and try that but wouldn't have it until mid next week.

I'm curious about the run as service thing - how can I check for that? I'm using RSLinx lite and there is a menu to specify driver startup options (although I can't actually click on the menu for some reason). So I'm guessing it's running as a service.

There's an RSLinx Service Control Panel that you'll find in your Start -> Programs list under Rockwell Software -> RSLinx, maybe -> RSLinx Tools.

Remember that it's entirely possible that this controller has a damaged serial port; it came off eBay with a major hardware fault present, so you can't presume it's fully functional.

If you're familiar with serial terminal programs, you can send a simple "10 05
" (in hex) and the controller should respond with "10 05". That's the ordinary DF1 echo diagnostic command.

I'm afraid you might be right as far as the damaged port. I wrote the seller, Indiana Industrial (http://indianaindustrialllc.com/) and asked if they tested it. They responded and said "it was pulled from working equipment" so now I'm a little suspicious. But I don't want to have to send this thing back though until I'm 100% sure. I can't afford to lose too much time on my project.

That said, being fairly new at this I also don't want to jump to the conclusion that it's busted. It could very easily be due to my own mistakes.

I'm not that familiar with how to send the terminal command directly but I'd like to try it. I downloaded Real Term and I can see how to change the com port and send a command. I sent one and didn't seem to get anything back - if you have a chance please take a look at the screenshot and tell me if this seems right to you or if there's a setting that I missed. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2014-02-08 at 4.45.55 PM.jpg

What are you wanting the web interface for... Even if you have a broken serial port, you can still write a program with what you have..
Pretty sure the web interface is just data tables.

Last edited: