Red Lion Crimson 3.0

Strokur

Long story short is I've been tasked with working on/modifying an already existing HMI and when I go to Link>Extract i'm immediately hit with a prompt to enter a password.

Unfortunately for me the last person who wrote the program as well as added the password protection is no longer with the company.

My question would be is there any way without wiping it to gain access to the program and HMI? I actually had met with a Red Lion rep. today however this issue wasn't known until after him leaving. I figure I'm stuck unless I find/retrieve the pw. :mad:

Thank you,

Phil

Unfortunately it wasn't anything out of the ordinary, the guy who put the password on finally answered his phone.

I guess before I get ahead of myself One other issue I have come across is an incredibly slow extraction of the image off one of the Red Lion G3 series. Whether via USB or TCP/IP it's reading each block in at roughly 1/second or less. Has anybody else ran into this?

Thank you again.

It should not take that long.

Depending on what the unit is doing, it could be slowing things down. I.E. a comms driver or user program may be taking up a significant amount of resources up at the time. As far as USB, if you are using a laptop, make sure it is on battery power; slight voltage fluctuations may be causing retries.

Regards,
Dan

Well the HMI in question has a Database that's 14.2MB, seems unresponsive to touch, it displays the main page however won't respond to anything. I'm hesitant to try and restart/clear the db even though I do have a copy of the db on it, albeit old and has errors(which I'm unsure what to do with). Although if I did clear it and at least remove the old errors it may be better than having nothing.

Modicon Quantum drops and Red Lion

Background:
2 Red Lion HMIs, Maintenance (G315) and Production room floor (g315)

Maintenance HMI communicates directly with the Modicon PLC. The Prod. Room floor HMI grabs its info from the Maintenance HMI.

I've been tasked with reestablishing the mapping for the prod. room HMI to communicate with the maintenance HMI. I'm having quite a bit of trouble getting the mapping to work how it should.

The IP address is correct, I did blur a couple things out whether it mattered or not but. The bottom is what was in place before I was tasked with this and I cannot figure out how to.

I decided to instead, use a Protocol that was located the PLC in question(same address as the Master HMI talks to) to grab the info.

Is this going to slow down the Modicon Quantum drop significantly? I don't feel like it would since the majority of tasks are all reads besides a few.

Thank you for any input.

hmi.jpg

I have to ask why would you blur the IP addresses unless they where publicly available?

Background:
I decided to instead, use a Protocol that was located the PLC in question(same address as the Master HMI talks to) to grab the info.

Is this going to slow down the Modicon Quantum drop significantly? I don't feel like it would since the majority of tasks are all reads besides a few.

Blurring out private IP addresses isn't of significant value. I could't use them if I wanted to!

Anyway, server messaging on a Quantum can have a scantime impact, but I suspect in your case it will be small. It depends on what you are pointing the G3, as client to... a Unity processor with Ethernet CoPro port? An NOE? Something else? I haven't looked at the G3 Modbus driver in quite some time but my recollection is that it is one request/ one reply (some call this max pending of one). That means it issues a single request, and waits for a reply. It will not issue another request until a reply is received. If so, then it really cannot hit the Quantum hard enough to increase the scantime significantly (i.e. a measurable amount).

Some drivers, especially OPC or SCADA, can issue multiple requests at a time, either on the same TCP connection or even different ones, and ask for a LOT of data, which could impact scantime significantly.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies,

As for the IP I wasn't really sure, they're on the network and I can access it pretty much anywhere probably fine to show them but I just wasn't sure.

robertkjonesjr:

The G3 is indeed NOE, I appreciate the explanation. I was told it was better the way it had been set up but I suspected it would be better grabbing it directly from the PLC.

A couple of things to add:

The G315 has a chip problem that causes it to only support USB 1.0 (or so I've been told). This could explain why your upload / download speed is so slow.

I notice in your image that the data source for "Messages" that you have selected is Master.Alarms.Messages, and that the source list select is set to WAS. Looking at the top half of your image shows that Master is using the OPC TCP/IP Master driver. This driver lets you pull tag values from one Red Lion G3 device to another. In order to properly read the tags from the other device, this one needs to have the database file for the other(whatever.cd3) including the fully qualified path.

Sadly, sometimes as you are working with the project file, it "forgets" those tags and you have to reassign them. It isn't too hard. If you have the cd3 file for the other HMI, then go to the screen shown in the top half of your image and in "Device Address Space", [Browse] to the file. Next, go to the tags that have the WAS shown for the source, click the button, and select Master. You will get a list of tags in the other project file. Just pick the same one from the list as what is shown in the text box currently. Unfortunately you will have to touch every tag this way. The good news is that it isn't too hard, and if you don't rename anything or move anything around on your hard drive, you shouldn't have to do it again.

Hope this helps!

--Joe

Thanks Joe,

Yesterday (before checking back here) I had found that out about the Device Address Space. As for the slow upload after attempting to upload it into the Emulator it ended up crashing out before it would even load the database. So I've got some troubleshooting to do before then. Again thank you for the replies from everybody.

I guess one other question I would have, the Device Address Space I'm using now(that has taken care of the errors) is on my personal laptop, do I need to have this file on the server or can I have it on my laptop which won't be connected 24/7 to the network?
Thanks,
Phil

You will be best served keeping the file for the 'slave' device on the local machine and not a server that you may not be connected to. As Joe mentioned, the tag's will lose their mapping if the file for the slave is not in the specified path.

Regards,
Dan