NIC Teaming in a ControlLogix?

xC0MMAND0x

I am wondering if you can team interfaces on an EN3TR in order to provide redundancy when connected to stacked switches.

I can provide a basic architecture overview if desired.

You can use a redundancy setup with 2 chasis with an EN3TR and redundancy module in each and make them part of any topology but it's used mostly with DLR.

They can't be teamed in the same chasis accross the backplane though.

You can use a redundancy setup with 2 chasis with an EN3TR and redundancy module in each and make them part of any topology but it's used mostly with DLR.

They can't be teamed in the same chasis accross the backplane though.

The Topology design would have 2 ControlLogix racks connected together with a redundancy module.

Out of the EN3TR each ControlLogix would connect to 2 different switches. The following recommended architecture has a single output from each ControlLogix to a Stratix 8000, and from there connects to the 2 different switches. I want to know if I can have 2 outputs from each ControlLogix and connect it to 2 different switches, eliminating the Stratix 8000s from the design.

Of course, in order to do this I would want to team the 2 interfaces on each respective ControlLogix in order to avoid broadcast storms.

I really don't see the purpose in doing what you are proposing.

You could have the standard Cisco switch setup as the document has it with no issues without using spanning tree

You could do what you are proposing with 2 NIC's /EN2TR in each Logix chasis with different IP's but as I said earlier there is really no way to team NIC's currently in a Logix Chasis currently because there is really no need for it and no demand for it.

All the 8000 is doing is giving you the ability to connect each chasis to the redundant HMI Equipment.

As far as doing what you propose as I said it should work as far as the networking part if done correctly but I don't know what effect that would have on the redundany setup of the Contrologix gear if any. I have never tried it.

But with redundant chasis it's pointless IMHO. If you had a single chasis oly and you had this redundant HMI server setup as the diagram shows then you would want 2 NIC's /EN2TR in that single chasis but with redundant chasis I just don't see it as beneficial but YMMV.

The other thing to note is if you have issues with this custom setup it may be tough to get Rockwell to suppot it ( Logix Redundancy ) and it may be tough foir other who follow behind you so just something to keep in mind.

If this is for your customer you would be best to stay witht the recomended setup.

Also if you don't want to use the 8000 a different switch could be used like a 5700 or something else if that's the issue.

Just my 2 cents.