1794-AENT - Not able to enable BootP or Restore Factory Defaults

OSMike

Hello. I really appreciate this type of forum, first time poster, long time reader.

I have a 1794-AENT series B that is flashing module status indicating it is not configured. (Although the boys at the shop swear they set it up)

I am not seeing bootp requests so when I use the thumb wheel and set the IP to 192.168.1.9 and my laptop to 192.168.1.69 I am able to add the device to my relation list. I can also ping the device and access the web page.

However I am not able to reset to factory settings, this is greyed out, and when I try to enable bootp I get an error message. Sorry I don't have the message on me right now.

The only command it will take is disable bootp.

I am using a standard ethernet cable rather than a cross-over. Not sure if this is an issue, but can't see it if I can ping and access device webpage.

Hoping someone has run into this before as I am stumped.

Thank you, Mike

What are you trying to do? What is the IP you want the module to be. What is connected to it? contrologix? ENBT? Your module will work fine if you connect it to a valid network with the right IP and subnet. for example our control Level 3 network for any machine would be like this.
Contrologix ENBT 3.1.1.1 255.255.0.0
AENET 3.1.1.2 255.255.0.0
Panelview 3.1.3.1
VFD 3.1.2.1
VFD #2 3.1.2.2 ETC
Ethernet valve block 3.1.4.1
Bar Code Scanner 3.1.5.1

Hope this points you in the right direction.

O BTW to configure your module set the switches to 333
add the MAC address and ethernet address you want then press disable BOOTP

Something like that.

When the rotary switches are set to a value between 1 and 254, the 1794-AENT/B adapter uses its most straightforward "private network mode", in which it uses the IP address 192.168.1.XXX, where XXX is the value of the rotary switches.

In this mode, the subnet mask is fixed at 255.255.255.0, the Gateway at 0.0.0.0, and BOOTP, DHCP, DNS, and Hostname are all disabled. Nothing can be changed using RSLinx or the BOOTP/DHCP Utility.

To reset a 1794-AENT to factory defaults, set the switches to "888" and cycle power.

Once you've set up the module to your desired IP address using DHCP, you can de-select DHCP, move the switches back to 999, and it will use the address you've configured.

Thanks I must have missed the set to 888 to get back to factory defaults in the manual. I'm just getting back into the field and haven't been dealing with these much.

The unit was suppose to be configured back at the shop so I came into it in an unknown condition.

What I was trying to do was get it back to default and use bootp to set the IP address.

Thanks Eddie and Ron.

Hello
I seem to have some similar issues that were listed and discussed below, Have 1794-aent, that I cannot allocate an IP address with Boot P. It isn't new, so have attempted the 888 reset as discussed here, however this does not seem to allow it to broadcast MAC ID to BootP.

Setting rotaries to 1-254 works as would expect.

In wireshark, visible bootp requests are being broadcast from the MAC ID of the AENT, showing an IP of 0.0.0.0. They just do not turn up in the BootP windows.

Any ideas on this?
Thanks
Neil

Try disabling all network adaptors (e.g. turning off wifi) except the one you're connected to the device with