4-20ma---to split or not to splt

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I have an existing device with a 2 wire pressure transmitter, 24V 4-20mA feeding a existing BMS device

I need to take that into a new separate PLC panel (Siemens S7 ET200s)

I want to split the signal but my boss wants to take the 4-20 into the ET200 and retransmit

The power supply at each panel is different

So,,opinions pls

I would think that you would want to use a splitter that has isolation since they are on separate power sources. Pretty sure we use a weidmuller brand... I can get a part # tomorrow.

Yes that what I was thinking...

Power the splitter from the new panel and bring exising 4-20 into it and feed the bms and PLC seperatly

My boss is thinking ET200 route is cheaper but because PSU are different it becomes more of a problem

Part# would be useful thanks

Try to put them in series as a lot of inputs are isolated from power supply, at least the ones i use (WAGO).
otherwise use a repeater with two outputs (best solution), this way the PLC can stop without problems on the BMS and other way around.

The separate power supplies shouldn't be a problem - I've done that before. Just make sure that neither input is tied to ground. If one is then you will need an isolator to avoid a ground loop.

I don't see and issue with just repeating the signal through the ET200. A splitter/isolator would be a more robust solution. Shooter's point about the PLC being able to stop without losing the signal downstream is definitely a valid one.

Hi All
I don't want to disrupt the existing installation or disconnect ground loops etc so have found a mA loop powered splitter from Status instruments which I can insert into the existing loop and then feed my PLC from that. Cheap too at approx. £100 each