S5 115u Cpu945 & Cp544

PLucas

I am trying to get a test rig up and running in our test room at work, I have set up a S5 115U with a 945 CPU in the test room, I have the IM308C up and running (see a previous post) and I am trying to get the CP544 communicating with the CPU. I have correctly paramatised the CP using COMPP (I took the paramatisation file from a working rig), The CP goes into run mode, but the TXD LED is flashing slowly, which, according to the manual means the CP is not syncronised with the CPU. I have programed FB249 (SYNCRON) in both OB21 and OB22 (cold restart OB's), but cold restarting the CPU does not cure my problem, the TXD LED still flashes slowly.

I seem to recall, from a distant memory, that there is a certain sequence to follow when first switching the lot on, but I can't find any reference to this anywhere! I have spent the last 3 or 4 hours reading manuals and scouring the Siemens support web site, all to no avail.

I am hoping that maybe, someone out there has had the same problem and knows what to do. I do need to resolve this issue because if one of the CP's on our cranes goes down, we will be up the proverbial creek without a paddle, because no one at our works has any experience in programming one up and getting it running. That's another reason why I set up the test rig, so I could learn at the same time!

Paul

I have finally got there!

OK, here's an update, just in case someone is interested :confused:

After a few more hours this morning, trying to get the 'God damn thing' working, (well, words that are a bit stronger then that, but can't be published for obvious reasons - there might be children present!) I have finally got there, I was programming it correctly, the program in the PLC was correct, the CP card looked as though the dip switches were correct, going by the settings in the manual!

But wait.............
using a multi-meter I find that switch S5/1 is showing closed in both the 'open' and 'closed' position! As I need this switch in the 'open' position, no problem really, I just break the track on the PCB to force it to the open position.

Replace the card in the rack, re-program it (no memory module inserted, so removing the card from the rack means it loses it's configuration), cold restart of the PLC and away we go!! Communications is up and running!

I would like to thank all you guys who did not reply to this thread and tell me to do the obvious!!
Read the manual and check the dip switch settings! Because I did do that on numerous occasions.

This card was in our stores as a good spare! Good spare, my ar$e!! I traced the 'history' of this card and found out that during commisioning (6 or 7 years ago) this card was removed from a crane and put in the stores to be sent back to Siemens as not working!

Well it's working now!

Paul

Nice work Paul!!!!

Don't you just love the term "Good,Used" on a stock room card!!!!

BTW, things are still crawling along on my new project...my partner is in Somerset today doing so final haggeling.
See you soon.

David