Control solution ideas

dave948

I need to control and receive status from motor control centers in 4 locations from an operators booth. It will be around 130 digital points and 10 analog. Existing is push buttons and selector switches with indicator lights, booth is being relocated and updated.
I'm open to all brands but I'm most familiar with the AB family of products. Would you go PLC and remote I/O.? PC based? I would like to go touch screen and PC in the booth and eliminate the existing buttons. Existing has no data or fiber to the MCC's but either can be part of the install.
Thanks.

I need to control and receive status from motor control centers in 4 locations from an operators booth. It will be around 130 digital points and 10 analog. Existing is push buttons and selector switches with indicator lights, booth is being relocated and updated.
I'm open to all brands but I'm most familiar with the AB family of products. Would you go PLC and remote I/O.? PC based? I would like to go touch screen and PC in the booth and eliminate the existing buttons. Existing has no data or fiber to the MCC's but either can be part of the install.
Thanks.
The absolute easiest integration right now is to go with an AB Ethernet MCC into a Logix platform PLC. With the AB system, the IntelliCenter software comes with Integration Assistant that automatically loads the entire MCC lineup into a Logix5000 project for you, no tag creation, I/O mapping, AOP loading etc. etc., it's all done for you.

If your MCC is existing, and you have extra bucket space you can add flex I/O in a blank bucket. If you go with ethernet and are using controllogix then more than one plc can control buckets within the MCC.

I agree with Mark; the 1794 FLEX family of I/O products is a good fit in MCC buckets. You can get 24V, 120VAC, Analog, and specialty modules for that platform, and it integrates easily with any Rockwell Automation controller platform, including over an EtherNet/IP network using the 1794-AENT adapter.

I generally see guys buy an empty 2-space-factor MCC bucket and install the FLEX I/O in that. Some do it vertically, some use the interconnecting cables between groups of modules.

Your selection of controller depends on the installed base in your company or in your area.

This small number of I/O suggests that you could use a 1769-L30ER CompactLogix and have capacity to spare. If you're still going to have a handful of local pushbuttons and pilot lights, get a 1769-L24-QB1B controller with local I/O.

If your company uses ControlLogix, you can just as easily get a small chassis with a 1756-L71 and a 1756-ENBT module.

If budget permits would replacing the MCC's be an option? If so using Allen Bradley Intellicenter software and Ethernet MCC's would be a good fit and be future ready for any changes.

You can pull the entire MCC into the IO tree of your Logix 5000 program in less than 5 minutes.

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Mo...nters/NEMA-CENTERLINE-2100-with-IntelliCENTER

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Mo...nters/NEMA-CENTERLINE-2100-with-IntelliCENTER

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/br/mcc-br003_-en-p.pdf

MCC's are existing, old and will not be replaced. The only other PLC on site is a AB SLC 500, it's isolated from this area and will remain that way. Currently the 4 MCC's are controlled from one central location using push buttons, selector switches and pilot lights. The only analog is 3 VFD speed controls (4-20ma) and a few amp meters ( I will have to convert these signals they are currently 0-5 amp)
The control house is being moved, it has hundreds of wires going out the MCC's. We are looking to eliminate the bulk of these wires.
As always price is a factor.

Since you said it was existing I ASSuME it is 120 VAC. I would us some Flex I/O and a L30 with local I/O. A simple Ethernet cable between plc and remote racks. Nice and easy.