Allen Bradley 3k

WTFSUNELECSUP

Hi,

One of the Allen Bradley Ultra 3k drives, has an E05 fault,

1. We have checked the cables, (actually replaced temporary with aspare set)

2. We changed the MK22A Servo Motor

3. We checked all the connections to and from the drive.

4. We checked the DC bus continuity to UVW, and theres no continuity.

5. I have played with the Accel/Decel time and it doesn't matter,

6. Checked the incoming 480volts before and after the filter.

Short of sending the Servo Drive back in for repair are there any suggestions.

To be honest, the few times I've seen this error, it's always been the drive.

One of the other suggestions was to check the ambient temperature, and check to see if the drive's airflow is okay.

The temp is around +5C, theres a second Ultra 20ft away and it operates fine. So I can't see it being the temp.

The weird part of all this is the motor jogs fwd/rev for 20-30minutes then trips on E05, once we reset away it goes again for another 20-30 minutes

Last edited:
Do you have the Ultraware software? If so, use it's tools to monitor the current to make sure the motor isn't truly overloaded.
If adjusting the acceleration rate doesn't make any difference, it could be because the motor is still drawing maximum current even at the reduced acceleration rate (increased acceleration time).

Yes we have ultraware 1.81, without checking I don't believe its that, because it will run for 20-30minutes and then trip, we reset it will run again for 20-30 minutes. You can do this all day long, if it were current based or a cct board component it should heat up and the time intervals should get shorter and shorter until finally it won't reset. In addition without looking at the manual, I'm pretty sure there is a seperate fault for overloaded conditions.

I based my suggestion on the fourth possible cause for the E05 fault listed in the Ultra3000 integration manual page 99:

Possible Cause: Operation above continuous power rating.
Action/Solution: Operate within the continuous power rating.

Here is a possible explanation for the behavior you're seeing. The continuous power rating is an RMS value. You can run the motor above the continuous current rating for a period of time as long as you don't exceed the peak current. The length of that time period depends on how much you exceed the continuous current rating and for how long. In your case the "how long" may be around 20 minutes. Once the drive trips due to the fault, the "how long" clock gets reset.

If you check the actual current draw and find it never exceeds the continuous rating, then one of the other possible causes of the E05 fault is the culprit.

Having you explain it like that, its quite possible because its just about 20-30 minutes to the second, its never like 30 then 5 then 15 etc.

Ill connect the laptop to it in the morning and monitor the continuous rating current. This is the original drive from this app, however. A little history is it suffered a power surge was sent into ENSIL for repair and then came back yesterday. Prior to the power outage it worked in that app for 5 yrs, without this type of issue, its twin in the exact same app is going on 3 yrs again without issue.

Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it. Is the other system set correctly?
If you have been getting away with the previous setting for awhile, it could be a sign than something in the drivetrain is wearing out. Over time the actual current draw drifted up to the point where it was enough to generate the fault. You may want to do some preventive maintenance on the mechanical components to check for wear or tight spots somewhere in the range of travel.

Problems with the E05 fault continued, just took longer to come back, changed the user current limit to 255 (basically to disable) still had the same issue also adjusted the fault limit to 200000 pulses. I removed the drive today and going to send back down for repair, new drive on its way, hope to dump in the program and away it goes.

I read on this forum somebody else had the same issue and some internal transistors were shorted. This could possibly be our case but there continues to be no continuity between the DC buss and UVW, hopefully the repair place will be able to find something they missed / overlooked.