1784-PKTXD with XP problems

woodward_uk

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi there

I am looking for some help with an Allen Bradley 1784-PKTXD card, my hardware is as follows:

Dell Precision 390 Tower PC (running clean install of XP sp3)
Allen Bradley 1784-PKTXD network card (series A)

I have installed the card into a spare PCI slot and installed the driver using the 'new hardware found' wizard. Windows appears to install the hardware correctly and the card appears in the Device Manager tab, although the status shows 'no drivers are installed for this device'.

When I attempt to configure the PKTXD driver in RSLinx Classic v2.57 I get the following error message:

'KTXPCL.BIN - An error occurred while loading the file onto the device. Make sure the settings match the hardware and no devices are conflicting with it'.

I have attached a screenshot of the problem. I have also tried other spare PCI slots but this results in the same problem.

No LED's are illuminated on the PKTXD card.

I would really appreciate some help with this problem if anyone has any idea's.

Thanks
Steve
🤞🏻

screenshot1.jpg

As I recalled the bin files should have been installed in the C:\windows directory. There should be 4 or 5 files. The files are located on the RSLinx CD.

Thanks for the reply Mark

I checked the bin files and they all seem to be in the correct location. I have tried different PCI slots but to no avail.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

This may help

Hi woodward,
I have attached the driver files needed for the subject card. You did not mention any installation of AB software. Not sure Windows knows what a PKTX card is - so you need to install the atatched drivers.

I have always had best luck installing drivers BEFORE installing hardware. You may want to give that a try.

Also check to see what section of PC memory the card will be using. If I am not mistaked, there are jumpers on teh card that set this.

I will check here tomorrow morning, and if you are still having problems will get you more detail as to the exact configuration I am using here that works.

Regards,

Rick

Hi Rick & James

I tried the new driver for the PKTXD card that you sent but this made no difference.

Then we reformatted the PC hard drive and installed a clean copy of XP Pro SP2, installed the PKTXD card with no problems, the driver loaded ok and the card appeared in Device Manager with no conflicts.

Reinstalled RSLinx Classic (2.57 CPR9 SR3) and got exactly the same message as previously when I tried to configure the RSLinx driver for the card.

'KTXPCL.BIN - An error occurred while loading the file onto the device. Make sure the settings match the hardware and no devices are conflicting with it'.

This is so frustrating as we are installing the card exactly as per the Allen Bradley instructions and seem to be getting nowhere fast.

Aaaargh 🤞🏻

More Help (Perhaps)

Hi Steve,
I have attached the install instructions from Rockwell's Website. You have not mentioned if there were any jumpers on your card. The cards I use have jumpers.
In the instructions, steps 8,9,and 10 discuss jumper settings. If your using RSLinx - JP2 must be set to 32 bit.

Hope this helps.
Rick

Hi Rick

Jumper is set to 32 bit.

Thanks for the install instructions. We are unable to disable plug and play in the PC bios settings though. Do you know of another way to do this? I have checked on 3 different PC's in the office and none of them offer this feature.

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,
I am not a hardware expert, and not sure how to disable PnP. I have an XP box in my lab, and did not see that option in the BIOS. You may try using a different IRQ if possible?
Below is a link that discusses PCI cards a bit.

http://ask.adaptec.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2061/~/how-to-change-the-irq-on-a-pci-card?

Also I checked the Resourse properties of a working 1784-PKTX card installed on a Dell Tower
I/O Range DC80-DCFF
Memory Range FE2FF00-FE2FFFFF
I/O Range DC7C-DC7F
IRQ 09

Regards,

Rick

Hi Rick

We are still having no luck at all with our problem. We have decided that the best way to move forward is to purchase a ControlLogix rack, a 1756-ENBT and a 1756-DHRIO to enable our two DH+ networks to communicate to our SCADA via Ethernet.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

regards
Steve