monitoring tank levels remotely without software on remote machine

a285323

Looking for the easy/cheap way to get a few pieces of data (tank levels) on a compactlogix plc to be remotly monitored without having to install paid software on the remote computer. Right now the customer has to drive out to the remote electrical building to view the data on the panelview plus. Corporate wants to view this data as well so that throws out just putting another panelview in the main building.

I was looking into possibly going with a web server card however the processor currently installed is a L3x which is not supported by AB's web server. I could change out the processor to a L4x but the current processor has built in ethernet, so that would mean buying a new processor, new ethernet module, and a web server module just to get 4 tank levels on the web.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Which model and firmware is the PanelView Plus terminal ?

If it's a PV+6, or if it's one of the older ones with the high-performance logic module and the "Extended Features", you can install the "ViewPoint" option, which allows you to view the PV+ screens with a web browser and Microsoft Silverlight plug-in.

Another option (which also requires a PV+6 or the Extended Features) is to enable VNC Server on the PV+ terminal, and look at it with VNC Client, which is open-source and free.

If i remember right i think its just the standard pv+1000 and i really doubt we bought it with the extended features. I was looking at the price in proposal works on the pv+6 logic module with extended features and that looks like the way to go.. Cheaper then replacing all those other components anyway to go the web server route.

Now on the viewpoint option you were talking about, is this what you were referring to.. https://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/performance/viewpoint/overview.page
I've herd of viewpoint being mentioned in another forum a while back and they said it was free but in the link attached this looks like it requires a licence per seat to access the screen remotly.. or is this something different??

I haven't kept up with ViewPoint ME details, so my comments about the "extended features" may be incorrect.

I am sure that the PV+ terminals that do support ViewPoint do not require an additional license for the runtime or the development/configuration.

Have a look through RA Knowledgebase Article ID #66110, "FactoryTalk ViewPoint Add-In for FactoryTalk View ME" (Access level: Everyone). That document is a concise summary of the firmware and hardware required to support ViewPoint on various PV+ terminals.

There's also a FactoryTalk ViewPoint "Quick Start Guide".

Direct link: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/ftvp-qs002_-en-e.pdf

There are quite a few other options, but since you already have the PV+ and it already has the data you want in a recognizable format, I think that ViewPoint for VNC will be the best option.

If you have any possibillity for Modbus RTU or TCP/IP slave interface on site, you could use a Netbiter Easy Connect.
Connect the slave interface to the Netbiter hardware, put in a sim card and power up. register an account on Netbiter.net and configure the parameters you want to monitor, log and alarm.
With a simple application as you mentioned, the account will be free of charge, so the cost will be for the Hardware and the sim card.
For more info: www.netbiter.com

My 2 cents

Patrick L