RS Logix 5 Data File Help

Tim Ganz

Working with RSLogix 5 and trying to do some things online and I need a few Integer data files to use.

When I click on a data file like N20:0 it has 40 elements and when I click the usage button all I see is dots which indicate not being used but if I do a cross reference it's being used in the program.

This is RSLogix version 7.40.00 CPR 9

...but if I do a cross reference it's being used in the program.
The way the RSLogix 5 Cross Reference command works can fool you. For example, I just opened a program that did not use word "N7:1". It shows as "." or unused in the Usage list, and a search did not find any cases of N7:1. But a cross-reference search returns a large list, with the cursor setting on N7:2 (the next word after the one cross-referenced. This means that N7:1 actually was not found as a cross-reference, so the next closest things are N7:2 (at the cursor, and N7:0 above the cursor). But if you just look at the list as a whole, you might think that N7:1 actually showed up in there somewhere. It did not.

Last edited:
Yes but I followed the cross reference to the actual logic where it was being used so it really is used in the program but does not show up in the usage table.

so it really is used in the program but does not show up in the usage table.
From seveal experts here in the past, they say that Cross Reference does a more thorough search and finds a word address even if it is part of a range or an indirect address.

I don't believe the "Usage" information, nor the cross-reference, even attempts to indicate if an address is used indirectly.

Example : N20[N7:5] can only be determined by the PLC at run-time, RSLogix5 cannot know the value of N7:5 at the precise moment that the instruction is scanned.

Theoretically, N7:5 could have any value that would allow the addressing of the whole of file N20, so it could be argued that all N20 addresses are potentially "used". But that would be detrimental to the effectiveness of the Usage and X-Ref, since you wouldn't know which addresses were really Used, and those that could-be Used.