New OMRON PLC not working with Old software

Hi Guys

Quite a noob here so please excuse me if I use unprofessional terminology.

I've been working on a PLC program for a while now, with the help of a senior forum member here too and I've got it working.

Now, this code works in the original PLC I worked on. It was written by another guy and then taken over by me and modified. However, when I upload the .cxp program to a new identical PLC it doesn't communicate via RS-232. I can't really understand why.

I've copied over the settings and all the code so the only thing I can think is if there is anything hard coded in to the PLC memory itself. I'm not experienced enough to determine this by looking at the code.

Any help??

Really appreciate the help guys

Rosh

Hi Rosh,

You should specify what model. Maybe you can try this

1. Open the working program -> double click on the settings in the project tree and copy down the contents in the tab "Serial Port"
2. Then open the new file and set it according to the old values, -> download, when you download select the option of settings. By default it may not be selected.

Regards

Hi Rosh,

You should specify what model. Maybe you can try this

1. Open the working program -> double click on the settings in the project tree and copy down the contents in the tab "Serial Port"
2. Then open the new file and set it according to the old values, -> download, when you download select the option of settings. By default it may not be selected.

Regards

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

It's an CP1E N30 Relay type PLC. Both PLC's are identical in specifications. But the new PLC does not work the same way the old one does when the program in the old plc is loaded to the new one. Thanks chavak but I already copied the settings over from the file to the new PLC and it didn't make any difference 🔨

This is a program where the PLC talks (bi-directional) to a PC via RS-232 comms port. What it doesn't do is send or receive any ASCII strings it's been programmed to send/receive.

I've attached the .cxp file for your reference.

I hope that helps you guys see something I'm clearly missing. Because the exact program works in the old PLC that was programmed by someone else and when I load the program to the new PLC it doesn't. Can memory locations be hard coded for instance?

Why I'm asking is because If I replicate exactly what he has done but use another string, say RX,CR> instead of RD<CR> it doesn't respond. :cry:

Thanks again guys. Really appreciate the help.🤞🏻

Kind Regards

Rosh

Sorry it should be RX<CR> instead or RD<CR> where <CR> stands for carriage return. For example I should be able to send/receive 5244 which is the RD part(CR = 0D) of RD<CR> which doesn't work:mad:

Have a look at the serial port setup - it defaults to Host Link I think and will probably need to be changed to RS232 or PC Link - have a look at the settings fro the serial port in the old PLC for the onboard serial port. You will also need to check baud rate and protocol settings as well.

Have a look at the serial port setup - it defaults to Host Link I think and will probably need to be changed to RS232 or PC Link - have a look at the settings fro the serial port in the old PLC for the onboard serial port. You will also need to check baud rate and protocol settings as well.

Hi BobB,

Thanks but I've already done that. Copied the settings over from the old PLC and actually opened the settings part and compared. Can you hardcode certain memory area's with strings you want and call them later in these PLC's?

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks

I have not used the PC Link or RS232 transfer before so unable to avise what to do. Most of my jobs where there are multiple PLCs are way to big for that - usually use either Controller Link or Ethernet IP with auto allocation and manual allocation over 8-20 PLCs - a lot od data flows!