Windows 8.1 compatibility with FTView ME

Auto_Mate

Hello... I've just had to buy a new lappy and it came with Windows 8.1, no options for W7, and I'm stuck on site with only my Studio 5000 v21 and the latest download of FTView Developers. I tried installing FTV as SE but kept getting error messages about installing IIS, even after installing IIS. This appears to be worked around the installing ME version, which hopefully is OK as I'm trying to connect to PanelViewPlus 700. Having installed FTV I can't find the launch icon - I have found the Rockwell block of icons but doesn't seem to be one to actually launch FTV. Anybody have any ideas?

Windows 8 is the biggest pile of sh*t software I have come across. Might be ok for mobile phones where you just want to play games, listen to music and watch YouTube, but anything else.... Why did Rockwell stop support for the XP Platform - something which actually worked!!

Do you have Win-8.1 Pro?
Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows Vista Business
There may be downgrade options if you have a valid Win-7 license to use during downgrade

A couple of options.
#1.Windows Classic Shell.
#2.VMware Player and convert XP mode to a VM.
#3.Downgrade to Win 7 Pro
#4.Virtualbox and install a Win 7 VM.

Windows 8 is the biggest pile of sh*t software I have come across. Might be ok for mobile phones where you just want to play games, listen to music and watch YouTube, but anything else.... Why did Rockwell stop support for the XP Platform - something which actually worked!!

#rolleyes....

8.1 seems to work just fine for me. Should have bought a lapptop with Windows 7, like a Dell Latitude. Why anyone would purchase a laptop w/Windows 8.1 for automation work is beyond me unless you knew ahead of time that you were going to run all your software in a virtual machine.

How did you end up on site without a computer and software for the job?

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up using a VM to solve the problem. As to why I was without a laptop... actually, I had 3 - all running XP Pro. The s/w update from Rockwell had v20 on the outside envelope but inside it had v21... None of the laptops 'in stock' had W7, all came with W8.1. It's resolved now, however I will probably downgrade W8.1 to W7 so the laptop can stop pretending it's some teenagers' 'phone.

I know so far that none of Rockwell's software is shown to be compatible with Win 8. Is there something in Win8 that is different from Win7 that "breaks" Rockwell's stuff? Has anyone gotten some of Rockwell's stuff to work in Win8. Just curious.

I have Studio5000/RSLogix 5000 running on a Windows 8.1 VM w/o issue. I did have a problem when I upgraded Windows 8 - 8.1, it broke Studio5000/RSLogix 5000 and I hand to uninstall-reinstall for it to be fixed. Have not done much "real" programing on the VM, was really just testing the waters.

Have not messed with FT View at all.

I have Studio5000/RSLogix 5000 running on a Windows 8.1 VM w/o issue. I did have a problem when I upgraded Windows 8 - 8.1, it broke Studio5000/RSLogix 5000 and I hand to uninstall-reinstall for it to be fixed. Have not done much "real" programing on the VM, was really just testing the waters.

Have not messed with FT View at all.

I'm considering purchasing a new laptop and using Windows 8.1 with VMWare to run the Rockwell software.

I'm quite interested in success (or not) stories/experiences and any tips/tricks of any brave souls who ventured out and tried this already.

Out of curiosity, when runnng VMWare under Windows 8.1, is it possible to run Windows 7 as a VM as well as XP?

Nick

Out of curiosity, when runnng VMWare under Windows 8.1, is it possible to run Windows 7 as a VM as well as XP?

Nick

yes it's possible, just need a stout laptop to run multiple VM's. Get as much ram as you can and go with an SSD and you'll be just fine.

I have 16GB of ram and 750GB of SSD space, so I can run 4-5 without even noticing, could probably run a few more but don't have a need too. The only catch is the licensing. To run a Windows 7 VM you'll need a Windows 7 License. Same with XP as Windows 8 does not give you "XP Mode" like Windows 7.

Thanks for the quick and informative replies!

With regard to licensing, is it possible to copy a VMWare VM with XP on it from my W7 laptop over to a new W8 laptop and have it run with the license from the W7 computer? Or do I have to create a completely new XP VM and install all my s/w from scratch again - or is it possible to copy over the XP VM and just buy a new license for XP on the new laptop?

I use a dongle for most of my Rockwell licensing, so I'm thinking the Rockwell licenses won't be a problem for the most part.

Last edited:
If your XP VM was licensed using the "XP Mode" method, than no it cannot be used on the Windows 8 machine. If it used some other licensing means, then yes it can. Just select "I moved it" option when you transfer, otherwise the XP VM might detect a large enough change to prompt for re-activation.

You could probably do a nesting of VM's...

Win 8 Host --> Win7 VM --> Win XP VM via XP Mode.

Haven't tried it.

My XP VMWare VM on my W7 laptop is a a MSoft XP Mode VM that I converted to a VMWare VM. So, it sounds like I'll have to pony up for another license.

I don't mind paying for another XP license. The price is nothing compared to my continuing investment in Rockwell, AutoCAD Electrical and other software. I just hope that it's still possible to buy an XP license as there is still software that I need to use that won't run properly in Windows versions later than XP.

Thanks Paully's5.0!

I am currently running Win 8.1 Pro in a VMware VM for testing purposes.

The real problem with running Rockwell stuff on Win 8 is that as soon as they find out they won't give you support.

I suspect that Rockwell stuff will run just fine, however. I shall find out.

Thanks kslow64!

I'll be loading the Rockwell s/w on my Win 64 8.1 Pro laptop this week as well. The approach I'm going to take is to run Win 7 VMs running in VMWare Workstation 10, rather than loading it directly on my Win 8.1 Pro machine. That way, I should eliminate the problem of Rockwell support brushing off any requests for assistance.

I'm also going to have an XP VM for some software that isn't supported in Win 7 or Win 8.

Nice to have this flexibility!