Is it possible to hold timer value in STL programming

torque

Hi all! Plcs are new to me, pls help.
Is it possible to hold a timer value in stl programming. I need to stop a countdown timer without loosing the value it has reached and then start the timer from the same value. Not restart it from the preselected value.
The plc is Festo compact FC34. I'm using FST 4 software.

Yes i have. And found operands for setting, resetting and checking timers but nothing more.
I'm probably missing something.

I know nothing about Festo PLC's and their software, but you should be able to move the value to a register then move it back when you want it to start again? if they do not have a function to stop the timer

Just a WAG

It is possible to write a time directly to a timer. But might be more difficult than needed.

What kind of times are we talking about? ms, s or minutes? If you need seconds or minutes I wouldn't mess with a timer, but use an OB with a set cycle time.

Thank you for your help! Problem solved - i saved the current value of the timer in a flag word and then loaded it back in the timer preset

I saved the current value of the timer in a flag word and then loaded it back in the timer preset
You must move the saved "current value" back to the timer's current value (NOT to its Preset value).

If your Festo software provides for Retentive Timers (timers that retain their timed value when not active), then simply use a Retentive timer and your job is finished.

You must move the saved "current value" back to the timer's current value (NOT to its Preset value)

Since it is countdown timer I would guess it would work even with preset. But yes that is not the way it should be done.

And also yes, one would think that a PLC would have at least one retentive timer