Display an ASCII in Panel View 600 Plus

yojunib

I want to display an ASCII in panel view 600 plus. The communication I use is RIO. Processor is PLC 5/40.
I want to display Recipe Name which contains Alphanumerical values.

Wow. That's and an old PLC. You need to copy your array of ascii characters into a string data type. Then use the address of that string to display your ascii characters. I haven't done this in RSLogix 500 before, but this works with 5000. It should be the same thing, but I am not completely certain.

I don't remember the copy instruction or string type in 500, but don't forget to move the length of your ASCII characters that you want to display to the length in the string. In 5000 it looks like this in the data type. In 5000 if you don't then the characters will be in the tag, but it won't display them since the length is 0.

You will copy your ASCII array to the .data with a length equal to your array, and then move the length of the characters in your array to .LEN

ASCII STRING.jpg

You don't have to copy to string, you can display ASCII in PV+. Look at tech note 30967, it will walk you through the steps.

FYI, the new PV+6 doesn't support RIO, so you may want to look into going away from RIO to something else, DH+, Ethernet, Serial. RIO is a pain anyway. I say this because at some point you will not be able to get the PV+.

James

You don't have to copy to string, you can display ASCII in PV+. Look at tech note 30967, it will walk you through the steps.

FYI, the new PV+6 doesn't support RIO, so you may want to look into going away from RIO to something else, DH+, Ethernet, Serial. RIO is a pain anyway. I say this because at some point you will not be able to get the PV+.

James
where will i find the tech note 30967..
We are using AB panel view plus 600 with a RIO add on module.

This answer is 'locked' or being updated.

This it what it appears when i click on the link..

Yes, the access level to view is TechConnect. You will need to login to the knowledgebase.

Basically, if the data is N7:0, then in Studio you will change the "N" to an "A". In RSLogix change the radix to ASCII.

James