I want to run PLC on bench with an incorrect input card

realolman

I have a 7 slot rack with a SLC 5/03 controller,2 input cards, and two output cards

I am trying to emulate a PLC that is out in the plant, so I can edit the program without stopping production.

Everything on the "plant" PLC is 115 VAC... I have everything back here on the bench except one input card... I DO have dc input cards available

Is there a relatively easy way that I can download the program from the 'plant" PLC into the "bench" PLC... edit the program, and then make it suitable again when I'm done, for the 'plant" PLC? change the IO configuation or something... would that work??

thanks

Try going to the Status S2 data file -> IO Tab and change the 1 -> 0 for the card you don't have. I think this will get you what you need for testing.

You can Upload the program from the "plant" slc500 to your pc. Then make your I/O configuration changes and save with a different name (****A or ****1 or something similar). Then Download into your "bench" slc500 and do your testing and further editing. When you are done, then you can change your I/O back and save to the original name. Then Download that to your "plant" slc500.

Always make sure you save copies and name them so you don't get confused. I will save a copy of what was working in a safe place (ie separate folder, flash drive) so if I screw up something while editing and making changes I can Download the known working copy back into the PLC.

There will definitely be elements in the ladder logic that will have "no place to go" if I change the I/O

If there are bits in the ladder logic that correspond to an input or output card that is not there, does the program "care"? will it cause some sort of error even if I change the I/O configuration?

Hi

I would go with what bob o said or just change the card type to one you have and edit the I/o config to match.

Donnchadh

If you have an input card with the same number of points, there is an option in the I/O config for a generic input card. Working from memory it will look something like "1746-I*16" for sixteen point inputs and "1746-O*16" for sixteen point outputs.

Depending on your company policy you may be able to leave that configuration in the running file. Doing so will allow you to put the wrong card in without faulting the processor, so use this information carefully.

Also, be aware that there is not a method to "trick" the CPU into accepting an incorrect rack size. I don't believe this applies to your case, but may come up in the future.

If you disable slots faults per Bob O recommendation be sure to turn those bits back on when you get ready to test your changes.

Paul,

Your last 2 points are stated in the link, but no harm to mention them here for those who might not have access to it.

George