Controller Fail

Hi All

I have upgraded controller firmware from 17.004 to 19.52

Now suddenly my controller went dead i mean
the OK status is showing SOLID RED :cry:

and accidentally i removed the controller in RS Linx classic Lite

Is there any way to get my controller back to GREEN and see it in RS Linx Classic Lite ( RS Who )

Thanks in Advance

Vam

What model of controller? Also is looks like you were flashing from a non-redundancy ver. 17 to a redundancy ver. 19. Firmware greater than XX.5 are for redundancy applications. But a solid red light isn't good. Can you get comms to it again?

Hi

You could try over the serial port as I would think you were working over the Ethernet port but solid red is normally not good.
Did control flash come up with a Green box when it was finished?

Donnchadh

Thanks for replying guys @jkerekes
@Donnchadh
Controller 1756-L63 series B
RS Logix 5000
Used to have 17.004 Firmware

Here is what i did

I have updated the Firmware from 17.4 to 19.52 (Control Flash 9.00.015) through Ethernet and it was successful got the green box and finished it closed the control Flash

then after a while i powered off the PLC and moved some AI to AI IO cards
then powered On again and i see that OK status as SOLID RED and IO cards are all fine.

and i removed the Controller from RS Linx Classic now i couldn't add it back??

any suggestions??

Thanks
Vam

Hi

Turn the key to the right position and try the serial port or the Ethernet ip driver than you were using. Can you ping the Ethernet card from your PC. I understand that you flashed it over Ethernet but just mailing sure you can still see the Ethernet card

Donnchadh

OK Indicator
The OK indicator shows the state of the controller.
Table 67 - OK Indicator
State Description
Off No power is applied to the controller.
Flashing red Either:
• it is a new controller, just out of the box, and it requires a firmware upgrade.
• it is a previously-used or in-use controller and a major fault has occurred.
Steady red A nonrecoverable major fault occurred and the program was cleared from
memory.
Steady green The controller is operating normally.
Flashing green The controller is storing or loading a project to or from nonvolatile memory.
If using a CompactFlash card, leave the card in the controller until the OK
status indicator turns solid green.

There's no program loaded. But now you can't connect?

@Donnchadh
Yes i did put that in Program Mode and turned it On and i can see all the IO cards perfectly communicating with the RS Linx Classic Lite
Yes, Ethernet card i can ping it.

@jkerekes

That means to buy a new controller and replace it??:cry:

Vam

Steady red : A nonrecoverable major fault occurred and the program was cleared from
memory.

Perhaps the length of jkerekes post hid it from you... a solid red led means there is no program in the controller, which will always be the case after you flash it to another revision. Flashing will clear the project from the controller.

Now your RSLinx probably has a yellow question mark (?) where the controller should be. And that just means that the controller's EDS file is not installed. Remember it is now a new device, because you flashed it.

If that is what you are experienceing, Try right-click the device in RSLinx, and choose "Upload EDS from module".

Post back with your progress.

Last edited:
@ Daba & jkerekes

You know what happen today, surprisingly we powered on the PLC and the controller is showing OK Status as SOLID GREEN.

I don't understand why is it so, i didn't experiment anything on it as it started raining we had to close the cabinet.

But one thing i want to know

when we configure Ethernet Drivers in RS Linx classic lite it automatically goes to the Ethernet and builds the IO Modules tree with Processor ??

Thanks
Vam

If you flashed firmware and never downloaded a project, there must be a project on a memory module installed that was loaded in order for the controller to become "happy" all by itself following a power cycle, or perhaps a blank controller will show that? (it has been a while...)