Allen Bradley

haggis

Hi there,
Im fairly new to Plc,s and have been trying to understand the extensive range of Allen Bradley PLCs with the intention of buying a second hand one to program. I have decided to go with an SLC500 with a 5/02 CPU to begin with so i can build it up as i learn.
QUESTION-Am i correct in thinking that i will need a 5/03 CPU or above if i want to create a PLC network in the future.
QUESTION-Where can i learn in simple terms about the hardware and all the other jargon like DF1 ports.For example i thought i had a good handle on ABs range until i heard PLC5 mentioned???
QUESTION-Where can i get RS logix programming tutorials and what kind of programming cable do i need between my PC and 5/02 CPU.
QUESTION-If i master RSLogix with the SLC range is it similar and therefore a transferrable skill to their other ranges like MIcro logix.

One day i hope to be the guy answering the questions not asking them.Until then i thank you in advance for for your time and advice

haggis said:
Hi there,
Im fairly new to Plc,s and have been trying to understand the extensive range of Allen Bradley PLCs with the intention of buying a second hand one to program. I have decided to go with an SLC500 with a 5/02 CPU to begin with so i can build it up as i learn.
QUESTION-Am i correct in thinking that i will need a 5/03 CPU or above if i want to create a PLC network in the future.
No, the 5/02 connects to a DH485 network. You will need an AIC module to connect to more than one node. The 5/03 is also DH485, but it can do online edits. (You don't have to stop the program to make changes)

QUESTION-Where can i get RS logix programming tutorials and what kind of programming cable do i need between my PC and 5/02 CPU.
You will need a 1747-PIC module for a serial port or a 1747-UIC for USB.

QUESTION-If i master RSLogix with the SLC range is it similar and therefore a transferrable skill to their other ranges like MIcro logix.

Micrologix programs with RSLogix. The instruction set is largely the same.
The PLC5 is similar, you will need to master a few quirks.
Contrologix if more different, though some similarity remains.

Rick already covered most of your questions, so just a quick addition:

If money is issue then buy used fixed I/O SLC500 like L20, L30, L40 - they are OK to learn and you can use it with DH485 network.
Another cheap option will be Micrologix.
Both will require RSLogix500 software.

SLC 5/01 and higher will be more money - in addition to CPU you must have a power supply, I/O rack and at least one input and one output module.

If you want something up-to date and money is not an issue - look at the Logix family: CompactLogix, FlexLogix and ControlLogix.
All these PLCs will cost you a few thousand $$$ for a basic package and you will need RSlogix 5000 software.
This will let you master your skills with modern PLCs.
i thought i had a good handle on ABs range until i heard PLC5 mentioned
PLC5 is expensive but very popular PLC with features somewhere in the middle between SLC and Logix families and may cost you more than Logix...

Last edited:
I'd like to put emphasis on the online editing capabilities of the SLC5/03. To my opinion, it is such a major advantage that its worth the extra expense.
Also, the SLC5/03 has separate DH485 and serial ports. This can be an advantage to you in some situations.

You will need at least one SLC-503 in order to network between other SLC processors. The MSG command is necessary for communication within the network and processors below SLC-503 do not support it. You'll also need a copy of RSLOGIX500 software with an activation disk for writting your programs. In order to "talk" to the processor from your computer you'll need a PIC module. For the network communications you'll need an AIC module for each node on the network. Everything is available on Ebay at a very modest cost. Reading material is available at the Rockwell website (ab.com) which is specific to the SLC family of processors. If you "master" this particular programming language you'll have enough knowledge to relate to other PLC languages. But they are not all the same, you'll find many differences and similarities. IMO, this is the best language to start with because so much is available and it is widely accepted within the industry.